Gas vent sizes

Wornout
NZMCA No: 0

Gas vent sizes

Postby Wornout » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:20 am

We have a 2kg gas bottle and would like to know what size hole/vent we need for the bottom vent and for the top vent in our gas compartment.

96coaster
NZMCA No: 18818

Re: Gas vent sizes

Postby 96coaster » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:46 pm

AS/NZS 5601.2 : 2013...

3.4 CYLINDER COMPARTMENTS and LP GAS LOCKERS

(f) Have a drain in, or within, 25mm of the base, as per option 1 or 2 of Figure 3.4, with a minimum clear area of 500mm2 The drain outlet -

(i) shall not face the direction of travel and shall face away from any opening into the caravan, which is less than 1m away unless that opening is more than 150mm above drain outlet.

(ii) shall be at least 1.5m from any ignition source unless the ignition source is at least 500mm above the drain outlet.

Alternatively, provide vents in the compartment / locker door at both high and low levels. Each opening shall provide a minimum of 5000mm2 of free area for every cylinder enclosed and shall meet the clearances specified in Items (i) and (ii) above.

The bottom edge of the lower vent shall be within 25mm of the base.

Them's the rules above. Figure 3.4 is a drawing of a gas locker with a (vent) pipe of minimum area of 500mm2 sticking out back or out below.

Clause (ii) is interesting as I suspect there are many vans with a gas locker / storage compartment behind rear wheel (or even cylinders in boot space and contain a heater (LPG or diesel) with 1.5m.

A 500mm2 area is not very big as a 50mm x 50mm vent would give 2500mm2 , only need say 25mm x 25mm to give 625mm2. Also seems odd that drain vent only has to be 500mm2 and yet for venting locker there is need to provide vents in the compartment / locker at both high and low levels with a minimum of 5000mm2 of free area. Makes one wonder 500mm2 is a misprint?. However the above is from the Standard.

Cheers

Wornout
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Wornout » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks,I am not saying I understand it Ha Ha. What we are doing is we have bought a chilly bin that the lid seals and has 2 latches on to keep the lid on. It just fits the gas bottle.We have a Toyota high ace poptop van and it is going in the back under the bed(Bed goes across the van). We intend to drill a hole in the bottom of the chilly bin and put a sealed pipe out through the floor as a vent and another one at the top on the side for the top vent. the chilly bin will be attached to the van floor with some kind of glue (had not got that far yet) . We decided on the chilly bin as I believe that it does not state what the compartment has to be made of as long as it was vented and sealed and the bottle could not fall over.

Am I correct in my number 8 wire thinking its just we dont have alot of money and we had the chilly bin.

96coaster
NZMCA No: 18818

Postby 96coaster » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:09 am

From another post on the forum>>

From AS/NZS 5601.2:2013
2.5.1 Design and construction
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be designed and constructed to—
(a) be of adequate size to house the cylinders and their associated equipment;
(b) allow safe removal and reconnection and be capable of securing the cylinder/s; and
(c) allow sufficient ventilation of the compartment or locker to prevent build up of
LP Gas in case of a leak.
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be constructed of a material that is water and
corrosion resistant.

I guess if it doesn't work out, at least your bed will be warmed up..

Return to “Gas”