Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

little MAC
NZMCA No: 0

Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

Postby little MAC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 am

What are the gas requirement changes (if needed) for an older 1986 motorhome? We have purchased this recently and I see the bottle compartment is under the seat/bed at back. It does have a vent for outside. We will get it all checked but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had to redo the whole setup of gas in an older Motorhome. Thanks

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Re: Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

Postby NeilV » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:22 pm

little MAC wrote:What are the gas requirement changes (if needed) for an older 1986 motorhome? We have purchased this recently and I see the bottle compartment is under the seat/bed at back. It does have a vent for outside. We will get it all checked but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had to redo the whole setup of gas in an older Motorhome. Thanks

AFAIK legally if you change nothing it's still valid (if installed according to the regs at the time - none :-T ) BUT if you change ANYTHING (and I'd get any rubber hoses checked very carefully myself :shock: ) then you're legally required to get a gas fitter to do the work, and he's legally required to report any 'dangerous' installation.

AFAIK (again my understanding as a DIY'r NOT "gasman") is that your bottle under the bad is now considered dangerous... so could be pricy to even get the hoses checked! :roll:
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

little MAC
NZMCA No: 0

Re: Gas fitting, change or not in an older Motorhome?

Postby little MAC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks NeilV for your reply,
Would feel safer getting it checked. Like you said the hoses at least!

Return to “Gas”