Gas lockers

chip'n
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 31999

Re: Gas lockers

Postby chip'n » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:07 am

Neil, someone else said there was mention of it in the latest mag, we don't have mag with us to check. Ta dale

WoodyZ
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 33689
Location: Able to hit the road at last, from near Te Puke, Bay of Plenty

Postby WoodyZ » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 am

Lex Ward says in his technical report. "Also remember that all the portable LPG cylinders, you carry in your motorhome, must be carried in a gas-tight locker sealed from the interior of the motorhome"

No mention of construction material in the article.

From AS/NZS 5601.2:2013
2.5.1 Design and construction
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be designed and constructed to—

(a) be of adequate size to house the cylinders and their associated equipment;
(b) allow safe removal and reconnection and be capable of securing the cylinder/s; and
(c) allow sufficient ventilation of the compartment or locker to prevent buildup of
LP Gas in case of a leak.
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be constructed of a material that is water and
corrosion resistant.
Cheers, Neil

25ft 5th Wheeler Rebuild
WoodyZ Nest
NZMCA #33689

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
E E Cummings

MikeBravo
NZMCA No: 15196

Postby MikeBravo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Just make sure it's big enough to take your spare bottle as well! You must not store a bottle that's not in use anywhere other than in a proper gas locker. Take seriously the regs about venting.
It's a sad fact that the gas only ever runs out when you're using it.
If space is a problem you can always have a 4.5kg bottle as a spare.
Always run the bottle right out - don't rely on having only one bottle and remembering to top it up periodically. The problem is called Propane enrichment (or something like that) -- NZ gas is a mix of propane and butane, and they boil at very different temperatures. The butane tends to come off the liquid first, resulting in a concentration of propane left in the bottle. If you don't empty the bottle, over time the propane/butane balance becomes heavily slanted towards propane, which your appliances may not appreciate.

kiwibill

Postby kiwibill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:33 pm

MikeBravo,I would like to know how a gas bottle would run out if you wernt using it,unless it leaked. :D

MikeBravo
NZMCA No: 15196

Postby MikeBravo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:23 pm

kiwibill wrote:MikeBravo,I would like to know how a gas bottle would run out if you wernt using it,unless it leaked. :D

My point exactly. It only ever runs out when you're using it, which is another very good reason to carry a spare.

A propos the nonsense about having to make the locker of metal, that strikes me as a particularly dumb idea, especially if you were tempted to make it of steel. Anything that can cause sparks (like a steel bottle on a steel locker floor) inside a gas locker is contra-indicated. My preference for a locker is fibreglass over ply, with strapping to hold the bottles tighly against the sides. Burnsco sell the strapping and quick-release buckles. And put insect screens over the vent holes, but remember to allow bigger holes to make up for the area lost in the screening.

22y
NZMCA No: 62942

Postby 22y » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:42 pm

WoodyZ wrote:Lex Ward says in his technical report. "Also remember that all the portable LPG cylinders, you carry in your motorhome, must be carried in a gas-tight locker sealed from the interior of the motorhome"

No mention of construction material in the article.

From AS/NZS 5601.2:2013
2.5.1 Design and construction
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be designed and constructed to—

(a) be of adequate size to house the cylinders and their associated equipment;
(b) allow safe removal and reconnection and be capable of securing the cylinder/s; and
(c) allow sufficient ventilation of the compartment or locker to prevent buildup of
LP Gas in case of a leak.
Cylinder compartments and gas lockers shall be constructed of a material that is water and
corrosion resistant.

Hi , Our Gas Fitter has told us the Gas cylinders must be able to hold 4 times their weight in any direction..by way of restraint.. any thing in the standard about this please/?

joncar
NZMCA No: 61614

Postby joncar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 pm

I see in 2.5.1 - last sentence says that; "locker must be constructed of a material that is water and corrosion resistant". I was about to construct one (which will be under the vehicle) out of 25x25x3 angle iron and covered on 3 sides with thin metal sheet! The locker will be fixed to the floor by 10mm bolts and lock nuts. There will be no issues re ventilation as the front (opening) will be approx 60mm from the hatch door, to allow for the profile of the vehicles exterior skin. I am now wondering - to comply with the above 2.5.1 reg. if I was to get the metal locker galvanized and line with plastic sheeting, would I be within this reg.? (galv. for corrosion and plastic to avoid metal/metal contact). Will of course have suitable restraint fitted! I have spoken to a couple of local gas fitters (Feilding/Manawatu area) but they are not familiar with m/home fit-outs. Can anyone from my area recommend a gas fitter?

WoodyZ
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 33689
Location: Able to hit the road at last, from near Te Puke, Bay of Plenty

Postby WoodyZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 pm

I believe that the intent there is that your gas locker won't fall to bits if it gets rain on it or is made from a few baked bean cans which will rust away in a few months. What you are planning is most likely suitable but if your sides were made of treated ply you might be better off.
Cheers, Neil

25ft 5th Wheeler Rebuild
WoodyZ Nest
NZMCA #33689

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
E E Cummings

Return to “Gas”