Califont Location

Brendon
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Califont Location

Postby Brendon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Upgrading from the "pump in a bucket" shower system, and having decided against a cylinder like Truma or Atwood we are heading down the Califont path for our 15' caravan, trick is where to locate it?

Having read three of the four new gas reg docs on the standards website (the free ones) its pretty clear the aim is to eliminate the risks of CO inhalation

Outside would seem logical to avoid all the death by carbon monoxide issues, but we are short on vertical external wall space, a bracket off the drawbar is a possible but that area is crowded and hard enough to climb over as it is.

We could put a flued unit inside in an externally vented cupboard (looked at a nice compact one at burnsco yesterday) however the heat and gasses coming out of the side vents were considerable and we would struggle with the required clearances given the tiny cupboards you get in caravans

This led me to the idea of building a locker from the outside of zincalume backing into said cupboard, with a full mesh cover for plenty of venting, no combustion gasses inside, but a whole lot of messing around,

Has anyone installed a Califont into a caravan recently or know of anywhere to go for advice?

Cheers
Regards, Brendon

"Lulu" 14' 1974 Alpha Colonial - caravan with the stripe

razor

Re: Califont Location

Postby razor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 am

the other thing to consider when going down the SMALL califont road is that they will generally only lift the temp of the ingoing water by about 25oC on full flow out
if the ingoing water is 2-3oC as it could be in winter the shower is only going to be around the 30oC
you are never going to get 60oC out of it like a tums or atwood
Leave only wheel tracks and diesel fumes (borrowed quote)
Motorhomes safer than houses
Full time roader

Brendon
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Brendon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks Razor, good to know, we had a 1 degree night in Tawhranui in winter this year, after that I doubt Lulu will ever see snow, we had a pillow gaffer taped onto the ceiling to block the hatch :)

Am thinking about asking the boys at Glencor or Woods my two local caravan places, do you know any good caravan outfitters?

Cheers,
Regards, Brendon

"Lulu" 14' 1974 Alpha Colonial - caravan with the stripe

razor

Postby razor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 pm

we have some ethelene squares 25mm thick :lol: :lol: covered that push into ower roof vent recesses ;)
Leave only wheel tracks and diesel fumes (borrowed quote)
Motorhomes safer than houses
Full time roader

bramwell
NZMCA No: 30164

Postby bramwell » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 pm

To be brutally frank, and I'm sure the feedback will be interesting, but I reckon the best place to site a califont is in the nearest dumpster. Compared to a storage system of any make they are hot, smelly, dangerous, and inefficient. To raise the temperature enough for a shower you need to have the gas pressure at max and the water pressure at minimum. This often causes pump surging and strange noises from the person in the shower. Have a really good think about a storage system like a Truma or Atwood before you take the plunge. Cheers, Bruce

bramwell
NZMCA No: 30164

Postby bramwell » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm

C'mon folks! Where are all the califont supporters? I'd hate to think I killed the thread. Cheers, Bruce

roader
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 16494

Postby roader » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Why heat more than you need wasting gas and water.In winter on a cold freezing night do you drain your water system to stop it freezing.Califont for us as full time and like to have good showers one after the other and not have to worry about running out half way through second shower
cheers Dennis

SteveC
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 34675

Postby SteveC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Personally I am with Bruce…. I hate seeing Califonts on inside walls and even more so when they are connected with rough looking plumbing. Most storage units will fit into some existing cupboard area which has outside wall space.

We run a full flow shower at 35 psi and you can safely get 2 * 4 min showers out of the Atwood, if in the winter you feel like a long HOT shower its dam good.

As far as freezing in the Winter – we just leave ours on 24/7 unless we are moving, I have proven it takes more gas to reheat it each morning than it does to leave it on over night and I also installed the Accumulator and town supply regulator in the same area so the very little heat that does escape acts as frost prevention.

Return to “Gas”