Califont Location

vansvilla
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 17271

Re: Califont Location

Postby vansvilla » Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 pm

E
RaymonD, start with Rinnai, thats what we use on the vehicles that require H/w in movie land.
Electric califonts are also available but you need a 32 amp plug to run them, they are not all that efficient either,
I know where you can get one cheap though :( :-|
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.

Roamnz
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29430

Postby Roamnz » Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Raymond, these are available here in Oz, maybe check and see if a NZ supplier sells a similar product,
endless hot water on demand supply for RVs, no water storage tank needed.

http://www.awardrv.com.au/
Smillie H

RaymonD
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13106

Postby RaymonD » Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks all, do not need one just yet but they seem to be a better way of gas use for water heating...
RaymonD

Isuzu Elf NKR 250S 1993
4 Berth
3600cc 4BE1 Motor

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.’" Hubert Humphrey

Brendon
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Brendon » Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 pm

That's cool! Looks to me like a gas califont packaged into a standard storage water heater format,

Code is GSWH-1M from Girard, more info here:
http://greenrvproducts.com/girard-tankl ... er-heater/

This would be perfect for us Califont fans with caravans who don't want to bolt it to the outside and can't put them inside due to the death gas issue.

4x the cost of a cheapie but probably 10x less hassle when you are short on space.

Good spotting Smillie
Regards, Brendon

"Lulu" 14' 1974 Alpha Colonial - caravan with the stripe

Narroc

Postby Narroc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm

As a certifying Gas fitter I can say that Unflued Califonts in Caravans or motor homes are not safe and even the flued one I would beware of. Personally the Attwood or Suburban storage types are the cat’s pj's. And as for freezing I have had to replace several Califonts which have burst due to the frost. I do a lot of UK Vans and the Truma or the Carver/Henry storage ones seems to be quite popular and these can easily be drained (and refilled).
Just remember all new vans after 1st July need to be certified and if imported will need the appliances endorsed as well. All new vans need to comply with AS/NZ.SS 5601 2010 part 2 All appliances MUST have flame failure. Note. Some hobs on the older imported vans may not have. So watch this if you are importing an older van.

Zukiwi
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 26100

Postby Zukiwi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes, I discovered the issue with freezing califonts in our previous moho. It was in the kitchen/living area of the vehicle but still burst a pipe fitting just under the califont on a cold Taupo night. Much prefer our current buses' Truma gas/mains water heater inside but against an exterior wall for efficiency and reliability.

Cheers
John
7m Fuso wide body, 240W solar, 440 A/h batteries, 2kW Eberspacher, 186L 3-way fridge, 400L topbox, 195L fresh, 200L grey, Suzuki Jimny toad with 4.7m OK Prowler fishing kayak, MTBs.

Minnie

Postby Minnie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Narroc wrote:Just remember all new vans after 1st July need to be certified and if imported will need the appliances endorsed as well. All new vans need to comply with AS/NZ.SS 5601 2010 part 2 All appliances MUST have flame failure. Note. Some hobs on the older imported vans may not have. So watch this if you are importing an older van.

Not how I read it. Imported vans need to comply only with section 2 of 5601.2. There is no mention of flame failure in section 2 although it does prohibit 'califonts'.

Any appliances installed in NZ in caravans should have flame failure to fully meet the standard.

Justintime
NZMCA No: 13215

Postby Justintime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 pm

We are looking at buying a small weekender van, with an external kitchen (K Pod Weekender built in Tauranga). Because of the external kitchen, I assume there is no need for flame failure devices on the gas burners. Am I correct?

Cheers, Dene

Return to “Gas”