Califont Location

stuart
NZMCA No: 0

Re: Califont Location

Postby stuart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 pm

How did you get on with your calfont? I am keen to put one in my caravan as well. At the moment i have a burnco 5L per minute califont in a batch and its fantastic. gets temp to 55-60 degress no problem and hardly uses any gas at all. I am keen to put a similar on in my caravan.

yachty
NZMCA No: 39805

Postby yachty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:19 am

Under Current Gas laws you are not allowed a Califont in a sleeping or living area of any structure. That makes it impossible to install in a caravan legally.
This applies even if unit is flued to exterior because a flue will only take away burnt gas (co2) but you still have semi open gas works and the possibility of a gas leak into space
Peter
RV Repairs Ltd, 1996 Mitsubishi Rosa, 360w solar, 220ah AGM battries, 110 compressor fridge

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Postby NeilV » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm

As I've already bought the califont and flue for my bus, please can you quote the reg that bans this option?
Last edited by Mark on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redundant quote of immediately prior post.
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

yachty
NZMCA No: 39805

Postby yachty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 pm

I don't have the reg because as all gas work has to be don't by a gas fitter. it was the gas fitter who told me this is not the reg and not only would he not install a new califont he would not fix the current one. Best you check with Gas fitter you are going to use for your gas install. Like most things rules/regs can be taken different ways by different gas fitters
Peter
RV Repairs Ltd, 1996 Mitsubishi Rosa, 360w solar, 220ah AGM battries, 110 compressor fridge

mattn
NZMCA No: 44845

Postby mattn » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Here are the regulations.

11 General rules for when things deemed to be unsafe....
(1)(d) ensure persons are not exposed to carbon monoxide and other harmful products of combustion of gas....

from this prohibited product notice
"They do not comply with the gas installation standards cited by the Regulations (NZS 5261:2003 (Gas installation)) which prohibit the installation of instantaneous water heaters in bedrooms, bathrooms or toilets" ....

There is no dispute - fitting a califont inside a motor-home or caravan is illegal. I know of people who talked about having one installed into a sealed locker venting outside, don't know if they actually did it though. In theory it would be possible.
Don't be alarmed when you see me talking to myself, I am getting expert advice.

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Postby NeilV » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Hmmm... So if my califont went inside my gas locker (right underneath) and was sealed from the inside... Presumably it would be an 'ignitions source' and fail to be far enough from the gas source and fail the gass bottle conditions too then?? With 120l tank @10l/m it's a 12 min max burn time... Very unlikely to be a hazard(!)

*sigh* no issue for people who have them, but #%*t for people who want them... Same as the seatbelt rules :evil: :roll:

Also, since it's directly next to the gass hob, it will have the same air circulation as that open flame cooking...soooo, If the rule prohibits bedroom and bathroom, all I need is a door between kitchen/califont and sleeping area and it's then legitimately a different room space?
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Postby Doit » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 pm

I survived a califont inside my old campervan for five years. Next our gas hobs and ovens will be deemed illegal.
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

Minnie
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Minnie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm

NeilV wrote:As I've already bought the califont and flue for my bus, please can you quote the reg that bans this option?

Matt has pointed out the regulation that says an installation is unsafe if it exposes people to CO.

The regulations also say that a caravan gas installation must be built to the standard AS/NZS5601.2. Section 2 of the standard is mandatory and section 2.9.1 says (in part)
Instantaneous water heaters shall not be installed in bedrooms or areas used for sleeping unless the water heater is of the room-sealed type. There shall be no ventilation openings or other connections between any area used for sleeping and any compartment in which an instantaneous water heater is located if the water heater is not of the room-sealed type.
NOTE: An area used for sleeping includes any combined living/sleeping area

This is a NZ only section, the Aussies ban califonts outright.

The prohibition on califonts is not unique to Australia and NZ, the North American and European caravan codes also do not allow them. So the majority of the western world does not allow their usage.

Why not hobs? I believe it is a risk management thing. There are alternatives to califonts so the standards call for those alternatives. So far nobody has invented a flued hob.

Return to “Gas”