Califont Location

roader
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 16494

Re: Califont Location

Postby roader » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 pm

As far as freezing in the Winter – we just leave ours on 24/7 unless we are moving, I have proven it takes more gas to reheat it each morning than it does to leave it on over night and I also installed the Accumulator and town supply regulator in the same area so the very little heat that does escape acts as frost prevention. There are two reasons for having a California some thing not running all nite with the noise out side and waste of gas.Put our California in outside locker all pipe work hidden and fumes all outside hey but everyone is different
cheers Dennis

SteveC
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 34675

Postby SteveC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:45 pm

A little hard to do that in a caravan tho. Our Attwood is just under our bedroom window. You can hear it fire up but it never wakes us.

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Postby rawill » Sat May 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Too late for this install, however we have had a califont in our van since 2008.

It is great, and in 0 degree mornings we can not wind it up to full heat unless we want to be scalded.
We use a recirc valve to get the water hot in the system, and hey presto it is warm immediately we get into the shower.

Our califont is mounted outside underneath our truck on the chassis.

Edit:

Noise is no issue, nor are gas fumes, the water pump, rubber mounted makes more noise.
I would not chose a water storage system, but that is my opinion and preference.
Last edited by rawill on Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

scoota
NZMCA No: 0

Postby scoota » Sat May 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm a bit surprised about the negative attitudes to gas califonts, while I have no experience with a mobile installation, I grew up with a small gas califont in the family home's bathroom and have since used them in restaurant kitchens where continuous hot water was a necessity.

Even with the smallest ones I've never experienced any water temp issues despite being in high demand situation. Indeed most califonts have no problem heating water to at least the international OH&S standard for shower or bath temp of 27C to 34C.

After reading this thread tonight I called a restauranteer mate who operates a largish restaurant, his attitude was that if you need continuous high temp water then the only option was a gas califont (his restaurant kitchen has 2 Bosch units, one supplies the washing up sinks, the other supplies the dishwashers).

Of course I would concede the noise could be a little irritating in a small enclosed area such as a motorhome or caravan.

There is a major difference when it comes to usage of "hot water on demand systems" and "storage systems", with "on demand systems" you set the temp so that you only require a small amount of cold water added, whereas with storage systems it is recommended that the water is stored at 70C or more to avoid the growth of bacteria such as legionella.
cheers, Deklan
Christchurch

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams - HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy

cherokee94nz
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30596

Postby cherokee94nz » Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Yes house and commercial califonts are very good. But the down side is the size they have to be to get the high water temp. Where the small cylinders are easy to fit in any place as long as you have room on a outside wall.
Alan
NZMCA No: 30596

yachty
NZMCA No: 39805

Postby yachty » Sun May 12, 2013 8:30 pm

I would much rather prefer a installed water heater than Califont for reason of cosmetics and I have always found our Atwood to produce more than enough hot (if not to hot) water on demand. To me if gas residue is outside if camper it produces a much more environment within the camper
Peter
RV Repairs Ltd, 1996 Mitsubishi Rosa, 360w solar, 220ah AGM battries, 110 compressor fridge

RaymonD
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13106

Postby RaymonD » Mon May 13, 2013 2:36 pm

rawill wrote:Our califont is mounted outside underneath our truck on the chassis.

I have often wondered if outside calilonts where available, obviously they are but I have never seen one, do they have a brand name so I can check them out.... thanks
RaymonD

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.’" Hubert Humphrey

rawill
NZMCA No: 16590

Postby rawill » Mon May 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Mine is not specifically designed for the position.
It is only a normal $200-250 dollar type that is screwed to a wooden plate which is screwed to the chassis.
The gas guy only wanted me to fit another deflector plate at the top to direct heat away from under the floor, which already had a metal sheath over it.

However, there is a specific type of califont that is more suited for the purpose.
It will take my a while to find out the name.

But Barry Stewart Gas and Plumbing in Invercargill told me of the type I would use replace my unit
Robin and Averil 16590 - Crusin - 1989 Nissan Condor - 28 sq meters CSC - toad 010 Micra - (1978 Mitsi Canter which must go!~!)

Return to “Gas”