Grey flakes in toilet

Including self-containment
Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Grey flakes in toilet

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:14 pm

I think I remember this topic being discussed some time ago, but I can't find it here??
The camper has been parked up for some time and each time the toilet is flushed, many grey flakes come into the toilet. Can anyone point me to the solutions suggested to overcome this problem?
Before anyone asks - No, I don't have access to the camper at present, so I don't know the make at this stage.
Thanks kindly for any helpful hints. :)

idex
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30389

Re: Grey flakes in toilet

Postby idex » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Jeannie,

You'll probably find algae growing on the inside of any clear tubing or the flush water reservoir. Give the reservoir a good dose of chlorine (something like "30 seconds" is fine), leave it for a while, scrub where you can reach then rinse out. It might take a while before the flakes stop appearing.

To avoid the problem add a little algal inhibitor to the flush water when you refill the reservoir and wrap a bit of black plastic tape around any clear hoses to keep the light out. Even filling with ordinary tap water from a chlorinated town supply will probably do the trick.

Good luck!
Bruce & Jan

1999 Brits Regent on Isuzu NPR250a

kiwigold
NZMCA No: 40111

Postby kiwigold » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi Jeannie

When I looked your subject heading. My mind boggled and I thought of all sorts of scenario's. But on reading your message, I had to refrain from making a reply. :D

Cheers Trev
Trev

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Postby Doit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:38 pm

I have always put the sanitiser in the flushing tank and nothing in the waste tank. If it gets smelly in the summer, I add generic napisan to waste tank. Why waste sanitiser in your waste tank if it's only being used over a weekend?
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

yachty
NZMCA No: 39805

Postby yachty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:19 pm

These grey/black flakes are bacteria in flush tank, this normally from using pick top tank additive from supplier who sell imported product ( quite often in square tall bottles). To be quite honest fresh water only in top tank and sanitiser in holding tank either blue, sachets or nappy scan, type product.

To clean top tank remove switch, or paper holder clean and rush with bleach and hot water, remove spy glass to allow water to flow out of vechicle not past your seals to holding tank
Peter
RV Repairs Ltd, 1996 Mitsubishi Rosa, 360w solar, 220ah AGM battries, 110 compressor fridge

Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks so much for those helpful replies. I have put nappysan in the top tank now, and will go for a drive at the weekend to shake it up. I couldn't see how to clean the top tank, so I'll check your tips tomorrow. :D
:lol: Trev

Return to “Plumbing”