Waste tank chemicals

Including self-containment
MG366
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 28031

Waste tank chemicals

Postby MG366 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:54 pm

An interesting article by Gordon in the latest issue of the Caravanner (Page 136) poses a puzzle (to me anyway) There has been plenty of discussion on suitable chemicals to put in the toilet/ black water tank.

But what do YOU use in the grey water? We have never, but after reading Gordon's article I read the regs as "ALL waste water shall be treated with a biodegradeable product in the quantities specified by the manufacturer..." "The purpose of the chemical used in a waste tank is to (a) deodorise the waste, (b) Disintegrate the solids and (c) be bio-degradeable

So, from the article, I deduce we should be using the product normally used in the black water in the grey water tank. (in our case a supermarket generic equiv of nappysan)

Am I misreading you Gordon? What do other members use?

Grant

idex
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30389

Re: Waste tank chemicals

Postby idex » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:36 pm

We don't think it's necessary to add any chemicals. Our grey waste is usually emptied every couple of days and there is no unpleasant smell. If it goes into a dump station I can't see there's any problem. Maybe if our tank held a couple of hundred litres of month-old stinking waste it would be a very different matter.
Bruce

MG366
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MG366 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Agree, but my take on the rules is that chemicals are required in a waste tank, not just black. My post needs to be read in conjunction with the rules which Gordon has posted.

Grant

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes I agree, I was not aware that we needed to add anything to our grey waste as ours is just shower and dishes water and emptied out every 3 to 4 days.. So now I need to dose up my grey tank as well.. Damm
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

beanpole
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 9835

Postby beanpole » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 pm

As the copyrighted piece was taken from the NZ Self Containment Standards to outline "offences", don't blame me for the additional problems now raised.
Personally I have never used any treatment in a grey tank (90 &200 litres) and have never had any smelly problems.
Gordon

MG366
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MG366 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Well, straight from the horses mouth so hope it stands up in court! But it would seem to make an ass of the law when I doubt any of us have added anything on a regular basis, but the law says we should. At least I now know I read the page with eyes open...thanks Gordon

Grant

beanpole
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 9835

Postby beanpole » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

I can't resist answering Grant.
The standard has no offences written into it. It is a compliance standard only for motor caravans and caravans.
Note in C9, "should be treated", not "shall". Therefore no offence is committed by not using a "treatment".
Any offences are dealt with by other entities. RMA, Traffic offences, council bylaws and so on.
Gordon

idex
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30389

Postby idex » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks for your clear explanation Gordon. I'll sleep much better now.
Bruce

Return to “Plumbing”