Water fill location, Self containment

Including self-containment
timbo
NZMCA No: 0

Water fill location, Self containment

Postby timbo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi, I am currently converting a van to be self contained. I have both fresh and grey water tanks located inside the van. For the grey water i am adding plumbing to bring the valve and camlock connector outside under the van for draining. My question is in relation to the fresh water tank, It is 20L.
Am i able to have some slack on the pump feed line and vent line so that i can position it on the floor to fill? (due to orientation and space constraints the cap is not located at the top when in storage/use) Alternatively if this is not allowed does the fresh water fill cap have to be located outside of the vehicle or can i add a "deck filler" to the bench above the tank?
Thanks

96coaster
NZMCA No: 18818

Re: Water fill location, Self containment

Postby 96coaster » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:01 am

The basics --

Water Supply

The motor caravan shall be fitted with a fresh water tank. The tank shall hold at least 4 litres
per person that the motor caravan is to accommodate for three days (i.e. a minimum of 24
litres for two persons).

The tank shall be:

• Made of a material that is inert and opaque, and be capable of storing fresh water
indefinitely, while maintaining its potability;

Adequately supported and fastened to the motor caravan so that it does not cause
any hazard whilst the vehicle is traveling on the road;

• Fitted with an inlet of not less than 25 mm diameter, and has a cap or seal to
prevent foreign matter entering the tank;

• Of rigid construction, and have an air vent of not less than 6 mm, fitted with a device
to prevent the entry of any contaminant into the tank.

Also remember you grey tank outlet needs to be fitted with a cap. If your tank is opaque, I guess you could paint it black.

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Why would you put water inside van when much easier to put outside. Also it will be much harder to warm van in colder weather. Also a horrific waste of space. Two 150 mil PVC pipes suitably set and run along the chassis rails work well. I have done several Hi Ace vans in the past.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 pm

This isnt a full size van, its a Holden(Vauxhall) combo. there wasn't enough room to fit pipes tanks or any other form of storage beneath the van due to spare wheel location, ground clearance and due to the floor pan being more like a car than a typical van. The two 20L tanks don't take up that much room when stacked vertically. Heat is not an issue due to the very small area of the cabin and good insulation.

Now that more of the plumbing is in i believe the easiest/best filling solution will be to fit a valve and hose fitting beneath the van for pressure filling.

Thanks for all the advice :)

beanpole
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 9835

Postby beanpole » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Sounds overly complicated.
You appear to be only wanting SC for 1 person using 20 l tanks. The fresh can just be a 20 l container with a tap in it sitting on a bench top over the sink.
As long as it is in a secure locker or tied down when travelling it would comply.
Gordon

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 am

Timbo, you should be aware that posts from beanpole on this subject are the gospel truth.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:23 am

Yeah, having a moveable tank with a tap would definitely have been easier but as it stands I already have a electric pump and sink+ tap setup that once the freshwater tank is plumbed in will make for a cery nice easy to use system. I already have a secondary battery with solar charge system so the addition of the pump wasn't a major. I was modelling the system off a friends much larger camper before I found detailed information online around the requirements for Sc.

MikeBravo
NZMCA No: 15196

Postby MikeBravo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:34 pm

96coaster wrote: If your tank is opaque, I guess you could paint it black.

Why?
Or do you mean "If your tank is NOT opaque..."

Return to “Plumbing”