Thetford Toilet (flush) not working

Including self-containment
Hillbilly'N
NZMCA No: 47600

Thetford Toilet (flush) not working

Postby Hillbilly'N » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

My Thetford toilet pump (flush) has stopped working!! :evil: The 3amp fuse located inside the the cassette holder just blows. It was working fine and now it just blows the fuse. Anyone come across this?

Cheers James

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Re: Thetford Toilet (flush) not working

Postby Neddy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

The 12 volt flush pump on our 402C went short circuit and blew the fuse when it failed completely after a very short time.
A replacement pump from the Thetford master agents was $135 - and I now considered these to be of poor quality.
I bought an equivalent size good quality submersible pump for just $35 from :-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravan ... 093275.htm (recommended)

These pumps are not all that hard to replace.
Full instructions along with plenty of photos at :-

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/servi ... tions.aspx

Click on "Repair instructions for all Thetford Sanitation products" to download the 10 Mb .pdf file.
See Pages 125 - 127..

Neville.

Hillbilly'N

Postby Hillbilly'N » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Awesome! :P Thanks heaps, Will let you know how i get on when looking up the sites. Hopefully i can do it myself as i dont really know where to send it if needing to do that. Im pretty hands on so fingers crossed. Cheers for your reply.
Ps. Is this a common fault that you have heard of or is there something i need to look at doing to stop this from happening if its common?

Thanks again
James

Hillbilly'N

Postby Hillbilly'N » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:39 am

Hi ya, fantastic info thanks heaps!! was Soooo much easier than thought and great service repair manual. Took it apart last night and noticed the flush holding tank had a bit of sluge in it. Cleaned it all out and drained the tank completely, Wiped down the pump and gave it a good blow, changed the fuse again and she went great. No need to change the pump! however now i know how to do it if it comes to that. Took all of about 30-40mins. Great advice Thanks :P

Hugh
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 43955

Postby Hugh » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 am

Hi All
I have a problem with my Thetford 402C. No pump operation, fuse in unit ok and I have done a few basic checks - no success.
The web links for the pump recommended by Neddy and for the repair instructions have not yielded success has anyone got an update on these?
Tks
>>Hugh
Hino Rainbow 7m

idex
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30389

Postby idex » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi Hugh,
If you remove the pump and just connect it directly to a 12V battery, does it spin OK? If it doesn't, then see if you can turn the pump impeller by hand. There may be a bit of grit or something similar jamming it against the casing. Give it a good flush out with clean water before fitting it back in the flush tank.

If it still doesn't work, then try connecting a 12V bulb in place of the pump and see if that lights up OK when you push the flush button. That may show you whether it's an electrical problem. Try replacing the fuse. I had to replace a blade fuse on our headlamp circuit the other day; it looked OK but caused such a major drop in current flow that the bulb filament only glowed feebly.

Happy flushing !!!
Bruce

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:41 pm

muzzanic
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 52739

Postby muzzanic » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 pm

We (ie Murray) put a Comet pump in our Thetford 402 loo about 2 weeks ago as the pump had stopped working. Murray said is wasn't difficult, took him about 30mins all up and its now working great. Can definitely recommend Neddy's advice on that one :-)

Niki.
Murray and Niki.
'Riders Retreat'
2007 Mitsi Fuso Canter 3.9 Turbo Diesel , 520w Solar, 500 A/h Lithium batteries
Maxxair Vents, 130L 12v Fridge. 240v Inverters 2500w,190L water.
We also have a second 1 of these campers with a tow bar that we rent out.

Return to “Plumbing”