Data consumption

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
vansvilla
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 17271

Data consumption

Postby vansvilla » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:28 pm

A few months ago we increased a phone plan with 2 Degrees to get more gigs of data, at the same time we cut the Spark data plan as 2 Degrees Gave a better rate.

Now my query is, we seem to be using more data off 2 Degrees despite cutting back on Internet useage. We don't play movies, don't watch any You Tube and don't download music. We monitor this Forum, FB, stuff and the NZ Herald pages on a daily basis. It seems that we were able to get more Internet time from Spark for a lesser amount of gig.
We are using the same computer and tablet as before. The only equip change was the mobile Hotspot device
Yet data is data or is it, do some telcos use it differently hence a higher consumption?

All auto downloads and updates are off or deleted if they slip through.

Phone is not connected to the Internet.

Has anybody else noticed something similar.
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Re: Data consumption

Postby NeilV » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Only thing that occurs to me is the telecom free wifi 1gb/day hotspots... Were you setup to use those before?
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:07 pm

I'll hv 3gg data from spark.. This gets me thru.. Just.. Using my computer once a week, my tablet like you do and my smartphone as required.. Don't download updates unless really required.. 3g just gets me thru.. No YouTube or videos.. Minimal phone calls on data..I use messenger, fb, Viber, and Skype for calling. I'll an a low user but still need 3g...I used to use 2g... So yes things are increasing somehow..?????
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

vansvilla
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 17271

Postby vansvilla » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks Neil, yes we are aware of the Spark phone box deals but that doesn't answer the core question, do the different Telcos process, use, ration the data differently?^
Cheers
John.
Duct tape is like "the Force", it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together. nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in Duct tape.

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Postby Doit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Text from Skinny today. They are increasing their data to 1GB per month until 20th January, All for $16/mth and rolls over too.
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

FlyingKiwiGirl
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 46960
Location: Travelling the South Island for how ever long it takes...2 years & counting

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:24 pm

vansvilla wrote:Thanks Neil, yes we are aware of the Spark phone box deals but that doesn't answer the core question, do the different Telcos process, use, ration the data differently?^

John, maybe what Neil means is, if you were near a Spark Box your computer &/or tablet are connecting automatically allowing you to use their 1gb data while you're in the vicinity. Therefore decreasing the amount you were using on your plan. This happens to me all the time, once you move away from the area where the pink box is it moves back to your mobile data plan. You don't always have to get a code, it seems to remember that you've connected before. You don't even have to know there's a pink box near, mine just connects as I pass by or are parked up to camp overnight, sometimes at least 200 metres away.

Of course if you were nowhere near a pink box....

BUSRSQ
NZMCA No: 0

Postby BUSRSQ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:00 am

The Telcos "should" meter the data at the same rate , so a 500mb file should measure 500mb.
I am thinking maybe some of those things you monitor maybe "free" through Spark ( facebook for example is free if you have a sociliser plan I think),
other than that I would maybe be asking 2 degrees WHY, also check that your WIFI puck is secure

Return to “Technology”