NZMCA No: 29132

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:15 am

Hi Alec
Don't bin Windows 10 (yet).
Let's try some more to get you going.
I think this is the link that I found.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539 ... artup.html
In trying to fix this I initially ended up with two logins (with the same name) and the system required me to select one and then log in. I think this was the link that sorted all of that out, including logging me in automatically.
I wouldn't set this up on my laptop, myself, because if it gets nicked (as mine did a couple of years ago) then they have immediate access to your stuff.

Let's know if this helps.
Mark

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

Copied from CNET info..

If you frequently run programs in administrator mode, dealing with the User Account Control (UAC) - the pop-up window that asks you if you're sure you want to let this program make changes to your computer - can get annoying. While you can set up specific programs to always run in administrator mode (thereby bypassing this pop-up), there's no easy, secure way to set up your computer so that all programs run in administrator mode.

Well, there is one way, but it's not secure. You can disable the User Account Control pop-ups altogether, but this is not recommended - not even for veteran PC tinkerers. The reason this is not recommended is because the UAC actually does serve an important purpose: It alerts you to any programs that might be trying to change your computer, including viruses and malware links you may have accidentally clicked on. If you disable the UAC completely and you're using an administrator account, any program that runs on your computer, including viruses and malware, will automatically have access to make changes to your PC. :o
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Postby NeilV » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:01 pm

But until Win7, that's how ALL home PC's worked, and the world still hasn't ended? :-T

personally i think the fear of virii is similar to the fear of terrorists, where a few relatively small, highly publicised catastrophes have lead to a worldwide overeaction into police state mentalities about travel.

Agreed, if you run a business and are legally liable for peoples information and account security then every precaution is valid... but as a home user... how many 'hackers' care about your data anyway?

I'm a rigid, multi-backup supporter, but crippling my computer use with UAC is just excessive to me. :ugeek:
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

Return to “Technology”