Windows 10 free upgrade

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Alec
NZMCA No: 52153

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade

Postby Alec » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Like Glen I upgraded from Windows 8.1 onto a brand new HP laptop and it is very slow to load compared to Windows 7 that I had on my previous HP laptop, and the other thing that really bugs me is having to sign-in every time you start-up or wake from sleep, even though I have it set on " never " sign in on start-up. Any solutions greatly appreciated.
Alec
NZMCA #52153

Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Son, you can't do both

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 am

If you can't get pass it, make it simple.... But if someone steals it it still needs to be different from 1234 other wise they hv all your computer data. I hv to open mine all the time but still hv a complicated password simply to protect me from the Cretans.. :TU
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:37 am

Alec
I had the same problem but I can't remember what I needed to do to get around it. Sorry.
All I can say is The answer is available on Google.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Alec, try this :-
Click on the magnifying glass icon at the bottom left side of the screen.
Type netplwiz and hit Enter.
Make sure that the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is NOT checked.

Neville.

tonada
NZMCA No: 47194

Postby tonada » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Alec wrote:Like Glen I upgraded from Windows 8.1 onto a brand new HP laptop and it is very slow to load compared to Windows 7 that I had on my previous HP laptop, and the other thing that really bugs me is having to sign-in every time you start-up or wake from sleep, even though I have it set on " never " sign in on start-up. Any solutions greatly appreciated.

I don't know why you all want to upgrade in the first place,read this,
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... emove.html

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:58 am

I think he actually quite likes Win 10.
"It is not a bad system. It is better than Windows 8, and it does bring the menu back, which is an important productivity step.... Microsoft is a very capable company, and they have a strong future ahead of them, especially in the enterprise sector and the cloud business."

But faint praise quickly descends into a mindless rant and he reveals himself as a geek trying very, very hard to be outrageous.

"You keep getting random generic Bing advertising, news s**t, and the image of the day, all of which cater to the lowest common denominator, some random hillbilly somewhere with the IQ of a potato that has been mangled by a combine harvester and left to rot in the sun for a bit too long. Just look at that crap below. Look at it! Take your s****y moronic news and shove it where it shineth not."
I found it quite easy to turn off anything and everything that I did not like or want.
Surely this "expert" could have done the same?

"Windows 10? I considered it briefly, now I don't wanna. Just because. There's choice for you. It's no longer technology. It's emotions now. Bye bye."

Bye bye.

Alec
NZMCA No: 52153

Postby Alec » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks, Peter, Mark and Neville for your replies. I have tried Neville's suggestion several times with no luck as it seems to do a download each time it restarts even with every thing I can find unticked.
To clarify for Tonada, I previously had an HP high spec gaming laptop that I purchased second hand about 5 years ago, this computer was running Vista which I upgraded to Win 7 about six months ago I enjoyed this program as it did everything that I needed it to do, but unfortunately it had a major hard drive death, so purchased a new HP laptop with 8.1, this program I did not like, so when I was offered the Win 10 upgrade I downloaded it after reading comments from other forum members, but I find it troublesome as I only use Google and Open Office for most things I do and Win.10 keeps defaulting back to itself. I am seriously considering scrapping Win 10 and going back to Win 7.
As for the Dedoimedo post, I also found it confusing and hard to follow.
Alec
NZMCA #52153

Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Son, you can't do both

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:15 am

Hi Alec
Don't bin Windows 10 (yet).
Let's try some more to get you going.
I think this is the link that I found. In trying to fix this I initially ended up with two logins (with the same name) and the system required me to select one and then log in. I think this was the link that sorted all of that out, including logging me in automatically.
I wouldn't set this up on my laptop, myself, because if it gets nicked (as mine did a couple of years ago) then they have immediate access to your stuff.

Let's know if this helps.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

Return to “Technology”