Windows 10 free upgrade

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Got notification last week that my notebook was ready to upgrade.
Did it this afternoon - no problems.

I agree with Neddy, that it seems to be a good version: this is the first time in years that I have my computers faultlessly networked. Easy peasy with windows10.

It's also great to exactly the same look and feel with both computers :)
Mark

RaymonD
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13106

Postby RaymonD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Gave up waiting and took the manual upgrade route, am very very pleased with Win 10, did have a slow boot/start problem as did a lot of others, solved by downloading into a USB stick and doing a clean install (Windows 10 only) all my desktop icons, files were unaffected and Classic Start Menu remained and is working fine. Start time dropped by a two thirds, one trick is to turn on Fast Shutdown, after a few days I ran System File Cleaner and cleared all the old system files etc., no turning back..... :)

Neddy, Defender is a bit of a one way? program, it will not run, at least in Win 10, if you have virus program.
I use Bit Defender http://www.bitdefender.com/ and of course Win 10 Defender is of.
RaymonD

Isuzu Elf NKR 250S 1993
4 Berth
3600cc 4BE1 Motor

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.’" Hubert Humphrey

Woody
NZMCA No: 24188

Postby Woody » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 am

Another happy customer with windows ten installed. I to was hanging back waiting to see how many problems there was going to be, most reports were good, so took the plunge. Reserved my copy a few days ago and was notified two days ago that it was ready to go, so yesterday was the day. Unbelievably easy to do, and only took 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. Took a while to look around and finally realise that I could use another option instead of Microsoft Edge.

Anyone having used Edge find advantages over explorer? Doesn't seem as easy to open another window. Possibly I'm missing an easy step. Every thing else that I have asked it to do has worked. So thank you to everyone that has reported on their experiences. Was just the information I needed to take the plunge :TU .

Romany Rambler
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21644

Postby Romany Rambler » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:16 am

Updated yesterday and I am happy with the outcome. However I have one problem and that is I use Chrome as my browser but it continually hangs up and I have to continually shut it down or wait for it to respond.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it ?

By the way "Edge" does not support third party addons (such as Roboform, password manager) so have had to revert back to IE until a fix is made.

Robin
Leisureline Owners Club
NZMCA 21644
2014 Leisureline 6.65 Elite Caravan, 1995 80 Series Landcruiser
Travel Blog: www.romanyrambler.blogspot.com

To grow OLD is hereditary; to grow up is OPTIONAL.

Karmann57
NZMCA No: 49610

Postby Karmann57 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 am

I use Chrome browser and it works fine. You may have an old version of Chrome, so perhaps uninstall it and download the latest version. You should be able to 'right click' the chrome Icon and choose uninstall from there. Otherwise you may have to use search to find the 'uninstal' function because I haven't found where to get to "Control Panel" in the menu yet ...
Terry and Elaine
NZMCA #49610
2006 VW LT35 (Coach craft). 160W Portable solar thru Votronic MPPT controller. 1957 VW Karmann Ghia

MG366
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 28031

Postby MG366 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:18 am

Karmann57 wrote: I haven't found where to get to "Control Panel" in the menu yet ...

Simplest way to get there is Windows key plus X - give all the options

Yes I use Chrome - no issues - current version seems to be Version 47.0.2503.0 dev-m (64-bit) But its good at updating itself

Grant

Shilo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Shilo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Chrome works fine on Win 10 for me as well. The crashes may be caused by an extension you have running rather then the chrome browser itself.

To check go to Settings / Extensions and un-tick them all. Then enable one, exit the browser, go back in and see what happens. It it's ok then do the same with the next setting and so on until it hangs again. If you find it then delete it and find an alternative that does the same sort of thing you wanted it for.

Expander
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Expander » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I have installed Windows 10 on the HP laptop and Desktop, the desktop is great but the Laptop is very slow to wake from a sleep, with windows 7 it took maybe 3-5 seconds but now its 2-3 minutes.

Any ideas? Glen
Glen

The Expander poptop may be small but its where it goes that counts :)

Return to “Technology”