GPS for large vehicles

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Bachmobile ll
NZMCA No: 18573

GPS for large vehicles

Postby Bachmobile ll » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Is there a GPS designed for large vehicles - that's any good?! I have a relatively new TomTom 60. Planned a trip from Bulls to Lower Hutt, and it was going to take me over the Paekakariki Hill! I stuck to the motorways, but if I hadn't known... I tow a Jimny, - 13m long altogether.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Re: GPS for large vehicles

Postby Neddy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Yes there is. The Garmin dezl 760 is a 7" GPS that is designed for trucks. For new users, Garmin GPSs are the simplest and easiest to operate and load custom POIs onto, but they also offer the most functionality for more sophisticated users. The 760 has an AV/in socket into which you could plug a backup camera to keep an eye on the Jimny when under way.
I see that there is now a 770 model available that might be even better.

Neville.

idex
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 30389

Postby idex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 pm

We've got a 7" Chinese No-Name GPS running IGO Primo, which has large vehicle options. It worked brilliantly in some parts of Europe, UK and Australia but unfortunately I haven't found NZ Truck Maps that suit.
So we've got the capability but the truck features are not all that useful here.

Neddy, does that Garmin have NZ Truck maps that show all the low bridges, weight limits, etc ?
Bruce

scubadoo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50365
Location: Ex Kapiti - Now homeless and free to roam. We could be anywhere.

Postby scubadoo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:38 am

Bachmobile ll wrote:.. TomTom 60. Planned a trip from Bulls to Lower Hutt, and it was going to take me over the Paekakariki Hill!...

I know very little about the physical GPS but have some knowledge of the Tomtom map data. It certainly includes routing information to determine your trip instructions based on choices such as fastest, shortest, quickest, most economical, avoid motorways, unsealed roads etc.

You did (do) set these parameters correctly on your Tomtom GPS?

A quick check on my Tomtom routing simulator:
Bulls to Lower Hutt:
Fastest route = via your expected SH1.
Shortest route = via Paekakariki hill.

I always expect interesting travelling if I select - avoid motorways, allow unsealed roads and shortest route. :mrgreen:
Neville
Mitsi Fuso CI Ultimate 6.8m 3.9 T/D. 180l fresh/grey. Single 300Ah LiFePO4 for truck/house.
600W solar. Victron 50A MPPT. 6kW Webasto diesel water/air heater.
255l Samsung 230VAC digital inverter fridge/freezer.Gas cooking/oven.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:26 am

Bruce, the Garmin dezl does give advance warning of low bridges, tight corners, steep hills, overhanging branches and the like. Here, for example, is a screenshot of a typical warning :-

A critique giving more detailed info on this GPS model can be seen here :-
http://www.nzmotorhome.co.nz/NZMotorhomeForum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9057

Neville.

Alec
NZMCA No: 52153

Postby Alec » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

There is nothing wrong with your Tom Tom, it is just the way you have it set up, you have most likely got it set on Shortest Route instead of Quickest Route.
I have used mine to guide me all over the country, driving full length truck and trailer units and also all over Australia.
I know Neddy likes his Garmins, but after running my Tom Tom and a Garmin side by side in my vehicle, I personally preferred the Tom Tom as it gave a longer view of the road ahead particularly when travelling on tight winding roads.
Alec
NZMCA #52153

Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Son, you can't do both

Bachmobile ll
NZMCA No: 18573

Postby Bachmobile ll » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 am

Thanks all for the advice folks. Must be a bug in my GPS. Because I always have it set to the Fastest Route. It did eventually get me from Bulls to Lower Hutt via SH 1, but only after several attempts. I know about the TomTom options - fastest, shortest, ECO etc. I see there's a Navman model MY Escape 111, which looks to have a Large Vehicle Assist option. Might be worth a closer look.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:20 am

Alec wrote:After running my Tom Tom and a Garmin side by side in my vehicle, I personally preferred the Tom Tom as it gave a longer view of the road ahead particularly when travelling on tight winding roads.

On ANY GPS, the + and - Zoom buttons control how much of the road ahead appears on the GPS screen.
1 kilometer? 100 kilometers? 50 meters? The choice is yours!

Most GPS models and brands offer very similar performance in positioning and navigation capabilities.
What sets a really good GPS apart from the rest is how well it handles Custom POIs and Icons.

Alec, I see that you are an NZMCA member, so have access to their Custom POI data downloads.
Of your Garmin and TomTom GPSs, which did you find easier to load and easier to use with Custom POIs?

Neville.

Return to “Technology”