GPS for large vehicles

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Alec
NZMCA No: 52153

Re: GPS for large vehicles

Postby Alec » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Neville, no I have not tried to download the NZMCA Custom POI's as I don't like the way they clutter up the screen and I generally only use my GPS when travelling in cities, on unfamiliar back roads or as a speedo, as most of the vehicles I drive have inaccurate speedos
Alec
NZMCA #52153

Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Son, you can't do both

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:10 am

But Alec, they never clutter up the screen. They simply can't. GPS manufacturers are well aware of this as a potential issue, so take steps to ensure that it cannot happen. They do this by hiding all icons until you zoom in for a close-up view (commonly about 50 meters). In practical terms, this means that you will hardly ever see more than one or two POI icons on the screen at any time. No clutter there!

If you want icons, but think they are too obtrusive, you could use smaller, more discrete ones.

Still too much "clutter"? Use a very small coloured dot as an icon for each POI.

If you really, honestly, truly do NOT want POI icons on your GPS under any circumstances, simply don't load them - just load the POI coordinates. You can still use your GPS to navigate to any chosen POI and you can still pull up a list of, say, all the nearest Dumpstations. You won't be able to see their positions on the map, though..........

Neville.

Mark S.
NZMCA No: 5173

Postby Mark S. » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Just downloaded updates for Tomtom Via 225. Notice in options there is a setting for truck GPS. haven't tried as not too sure on these electronic things and stay on the kiss principle.

razor

Postby razor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Have a tom tom xl one you can set it to heavy veihical and set to easiest route /keep you to main arterials and main drags when needed :TU
easy to load poi's just drag and drop files into the tomtom directory
Leave only wheel tracks and diesel fumes (borrowed quote)
Motorhomes safer than houses
Full time roader

Return to “Technology”