Reversing camera

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Reversing camera

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:52 am

My existing reversing camera does not have any distance marker lines on it. Some say it might be because they are not visible to me because the camera is placed under the boot box.
I reversed into something I still have not seen, the other day, so that was a big surprise. I thought I got a really good view so I need to know what is not showing up. :?
The camera might be old. It is fuzzy at night time. I,m going to get a reversing light put on.

Doit
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 13693

Re: Reversing camera

Postby Doit » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:08 am

I installed my camera above the back window because it didn't have a wide enough viewing angle when down on the bumper.
You might have the same problem. Lay objects on the ground and see how close you can see them when in line with the sides of your van.
Sounds like a better infrared camera would be a better bet though.
Trevor
NZMCA member, 2005 Canter 3.6l. 370w solar. 220AH Gel house,195l Fresh/150l grey. VSR,12v Equaliser charger, 7 stage 240v charger, 1000w mod sine inverter, 300w pure sine inverter, 12v Vitrfrigo 90l fridge. Webasto diesel heater. Thetford WC.

NeilV
NZMCA No: 60322

Postby NeilV » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 am

I trained my 6 Year old, he now knows left and right, and what to look for (and how much space I need) when a bus is 3 point turning.... choice! :TU

This IS a rather pricy option if you don't have one already though :lol:
8.5m 1990 Dennis Dart bus, 6L turbo -4 pax
- 24v system: 2x 104ah AGM, 20a PWM controller 500W solar; 1200w puresine inverter
120L grey/fresh water, 75L compressor fridge, gas Califont, Diesel MK85 heater [awaiting install]

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Postby Neddy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:25 am

Jip.C.Jaybird wrote:I reversed into something I had not seen

So when you hit the object, it was outside the backup camera's field of view - right?
Was the object too low, too high, too far to the side or too close to show on the screen?
Some backup cameras incorporate "guidelines" or sometimes they are added by the screen electronics.
Here is an example of guidelines that are integral with the camera :-
http://s30.postimg.org/f5snu0wg1/Bcm_001.jpg"
Is this the sort of thing you are wanting?

Neville.

Teardrop

Postby Teardrop » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 am

Jip.C.Jaybird wrote:I reversed into something I still have not seen

Not sure what you mean by this. Did you get out and check what it was? Technology can be a great aid, but it can make you lazy. If unsure, get out of the vehicle and check around before you start backing. Use your mirrors as well as the camera. You may be able to position the camera better, but ultimately you still need to know what it will, and won't pick up. I was taught to look for everything, including shadows, to give yourself positional awareness.

Dene

Jip.C.Jaybird
NZMCA No: 33626

Postby Jip.C.Jaybird » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:24 pm

I was parked in an orchard, and I felt a tender bump, but I did not get out to look because I thought it was just a tinsy winsy bump :oops: It was only afterwards when I saw the dent in the boot box that I realised I must have done it, because I do not recall the boot box having a dent in it prior to that.
Yes, those are the guidelines I am talking about. I don't have the van parked at my place so I can not check it at present, but I am told those guideline can be a choice and to check the settings! I THOUGHT I was getting a good overall rear view, but that's another test for when I get the van again.
I will do that hopefully over the weekend.
Thanks Guys. :)

petercw
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 39606
Location: Matamata .. Mowing the lawn or out in Growly Bear hvg fun.

Postby petercw » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:48 pm

I hv marked my screen with the backing requirements so I just look at the screen and work outside the boundaries I hv set. :)
Retired & just Cruzing in "Growly Bear" that has everything we need..
85 C.I.Munroe- 3.4L nonturbo Delta 5spd manual 13B Toyota diesel.
"Limited 90 kms -Drive safe - Pass with care"
Peter & Jeni

Return to “Technology”