My $100 iGo8 Android GPS Experiment.

Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
Neddy
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 21917

Re: My $100 iGo8 Android GPS Experiment.

Postby Neddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I must say that I am very impressed with Sygic. The program has a nice clear user interface and is very easy and intuitive to use. It has all the usual "top-end" GPS functions including Dynamic Lane Guidance, Lane Assistant and Junction View. Much of the map detail doesn't show until you zoom right in, though. I guess this is because they are trying to keep it uncluttered so it can fit on very small screens. The street where I live doesn't even show until you zoom right in to 250 meters, for example. Similarly, icons do not appear until you zoom in even further, to just 100 meters. This is actually not too bad and better than many GPS's, but it is not what I am looking for. I want to be able to zoom right out and still see my Custom Icons. So, while I think Sygic is a really good app and well worth $44, it doesn't do what I want. I'm looking for what Garmin BaseCamp and my old Garmin GPS do so well. They are able to zoom right out to 10km (or whatever you want) and still show all Custom icons. This enables easy trip planning and gives a really good overview of the general situation.

Scubadoo, could I ask a favour? Would you be able to go into your Navigon setup and with the map set to "Chart" style (as opposed to "Perspective" style) see how far out you can zoom and still see the icons?

If someone could do the same test with Co-Pilot or any other preferred software, I would be very grateful.

scubadoo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50365
Location: Ex Kapiti - Now homeless and free to roam. We could be anywhere.

Postby scubadoo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Neddy

Navigon displays their own POI to the 900m scale. i.e. about 12km across my 10" tablet screen. Creating custom POI is possible but very very difficult and time consuming. There may be an easier method that I have missed?

CoPilot POI remain visible on my tablet to about 5km across the screen. Standard TomTom .ov2 POI worked well on earlier versions. Not sure about my current updates. I have not bothered.

I have all but given up the never ending chase of creating custom POI for the enormous choice of android street level mapping apps.
It could easily be a full time job attempting to analyise the usual propriety file formats. Some change the file formats often.
I would not be at all surprised if the next version of Sygic for example would no longer accept the current POI files.

Creating NZMCA or custom POI files for perhaps 30 android and iapplexxx apps would be a never ending and probably thankless task. Then you have to write installation manuals for all of them allowing for the many variables. :?
Today android devices and apps can have their data stored in the internal flash RAM, internal "SD card", external "SD card" (really internal), real external SD card, external "usb_storage" etc. and the manufacturer can almost name any storage area whatever they like.
I'm sure glad I don't write apps. :roll:

If the apps don't support simple .txt, .csv, GPX etc. I put my hands up and quit. Life is too short. Map making is a lot more rewarding for me. ;)
Even Garmin is slowly adding extra protections into their latest nuvis obviously in an attempt to eventually lock out third party maps, POI etc.
Neville
Mitsi Fuso CI Ultimate 6.8m 3.9 T/D. 180l fresh/grey. Single 300Ah LiFePO4 for truck/house.
600W solar. Victron 50A MPPT. 6kW Webasto diesel water/air heater.
255l Samsung 230VAC digital inverter fridge/freezer.Gas cooking/oven.

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:54 pm

FWIW, I've had a quick test run of CoPilot and it got me safely to Bunnings and back :)
I should just say that I have downloaded some instructions for loading custom POIs and these talk about copying standard CSV files into the phone and then following the CoPilot instructions to load them.
In due course I will report on a test load.

($44 for Sygic? My Play store said $132 :o ).
Mark

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm

"Creating custom POI in Navigon is possible but very, very difficult and time consuming."
That's that then. With nearly 3000 POIs to manage, the process must be simple and easy.
I had high hopes, what with Navigon being a Garmin company.

I will investigate CoPilot more closely.

"I have all but given up creating custom POI for android street level mapping apps. If the apps don't support simple .txt, .csv, GPX etc. I put my hands up and quit. Life is too short."
Plodding along in your wake, I have rapidly come to the same conclusion. For me it will be CSV, GPX, or nothing.

It is interesting to note that with the plethora of GPS options available to you, your weapon of choice is a Garmin GPS. Me too! I am of the opinion that a purpose-built GPS is more rugged and performs better in a vehicle than any app running on a phone or tablet.

Nevertheless I am going to have one last shot at loading iGo and I will evaluate Co-Pilot. In the event of disappointment, my fall-back position will be to buy Sygic for the Tablet. When/if my magnificent Garmin 7200 ever breaks down, I will replace it with the best GPS available on the market at that time.

Here is a GPS comparison chart of models that meet some or all of my requirements. They all have 7" screens and most have an AV-in socket for a backup camera. Green is good. Red is bad. Except for iGo, all are bundled with free lifetime upgrades using slick, well established utilities. I have filled in the details to the best of my knowledge and ability but would be very happy for any errors or omissions to be pointed out. I have a Garmin 7200 as per the first entry and really do think that Garmin have the best gear, but look at the GPS at the bottom of the chart. On paper at least, this new model looks to be a real contender.

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:16 pm

"Custom Icons classified by type"
If this refers to the ability to save POI's (and their related icons) into custom categories the the answer for IGO is "Yes"
But it requires manipulation of the KML files to achieve it.
Mark

scubadoo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 50365
Location: Ex Kapiti - Now homeless and free to roam. We could be anywhere.

Postby scubadoo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Mark wrote:.... I should just say that I have downloaded some instructions for loading custom POIs and these talk about copying standard CSV files ...

Mark

Make sure you are Googling current Web data. CoPilot has changed drastically with each update over the years. Also ensure they are referring to android versions.

I will follow with interest.
Neville
Mitsi Fuso CI Ultimate 6.8m 3.9 T/D. 180l fresh/grey. Single 300Ah LiFePO4 for truck/house.
600W solar. Victron 50A MPPT. 6kW Webasto diesel water/air heater.
255l Samsung 230VAC digital inverter fridge/freezer.Gas cooking/oven.

Neddy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Mark wrote:$44 for Sygic? My Play store said $132

Australia and NZ for US$37, on special, offer ends 27 August.

http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

You're going to have to be really decisive here Mark and make a fast decision. You can do it! I know you can.

Neville.

Shilo
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 0

Postby Shilo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Mark wrote:($44 for Sygic? My Play store said $132 :o ).

Can't see what Google Play lists it as since I have it installed but direct from Sygic's website its on special for only $41 for Aust & NZ (normally $63).
https://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

Oop's Neddy bet me to it! But we must be using different currency converters :lol:

Return to “Technology”