Photographs

Stuff you need to know.
Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Photographs

Postby Mark » Thu May 14, 2009 5:02 pm

From now on the forum will not allow the attachment of photos to posts - only links to photos that hosted elsewhere on the internet.

This is in an effort to curb the rate at which our use of bandwidth is increasing.

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. And this is absolutely true: I have just checked it.
A typical attached photo is 65 Kbytes. That is the same size as a file containing 1000 words :o
So every time someone opens post with a single photo attached its the same as opening 10-20 normal text posts.

A link to a photo uses none of the forum's bandwidth.

The instructions included in Tips & Tricks are for adding a link - not an attachment.
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

Mark
Supporter
Supporter
NZMCA No: 29132

Re: Photographs

Postby Mark » Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 pm

It is now apparent that I have not been clear enough with the posting, above.

This does not mean that you can no longer show photos. It just restricts the method by which this is to occur. Using the methodology detailed in Tip & Tricks viewtopic.php?f=65&t=101&p=381#p381, the photos will appear just as they have appeared on posts from members in the past. This method ensures that the forum's bandwidth is not used to display them (or so I am assured by those that know such things!)
Mark
I ache in the places where I used to play - Leonard Cohen

Return to “Notices”