Motorhomes "on the road". Routes, destinations, POP's, Activities, Employment etc
Forum rules: When posting images, please post only thumbnails that link to your image. This can be achieved using the "Message Board" option in PostImage.
Moderators may remove any images that do not conform with this request without notice.
This is in consideration of those members who have small data caps :-)
 #150499  by KiwiTrailblazers
 Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 pm
Hi There,

I'm adventurous by nature but quite new to caravaning. I'd like to take the family on a road trip and hoping to tow the caravan on the road between Raglan and Marokopa. I'm OK with slow windy roads but only towing with a 2WD so don't want to spend too much time on loose metal. Does anyone know what the roads are like - is it all or mostly sealed? I'm a confident driver on windy roads.

We are planning to stay at Waingro and then visit Raglan and then the Bridal Veil falls with final destination being the sites of Marokopa (Marokopa Falls, Piri Piri Caves & Natural Bridge) so kinda makes sense to take the route mentioned above.

Any advise would be greatly received. Thanks!!

Cheers,
Phil
 #150523  by Shilo
 Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm
On the main road between Raglan and Kawhia you will have 23km of gravel. It is 50km total distance and gravel starts a few km past the Bridal Veil Falls turn off (retrace your steps to the main road after the falls, it is possible to continue past the falls but this road is officially closed and not suitable for caravans). The gravel section is not bad at all and I describe as an "average" gravel road, you shouldn't have any problems if you take it easy. Windy but no steep sections. From Kawhia to Marakopa is all sealed road. If you decide to head south after Marakopa instead of east to Waitomo, you will have more gravel for about 10km.
 #150525  by KiwiTrailblazers
 Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Thanks so much for the detailed information. I've decided to take the main road between Waingaro and Kawhia (staying the night there) and then take the sealed back road from Kawhia to Marokopa. I've seen a huge amount of NZ (North and South) but funny enough not this area so really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your help.
Pay with Paymate Express