Cooking, baking, cleaning, loo pongs etc
 #147834  by AaronM
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm
Hey guys,

Just wondering how cold do 3 way fridges generally go? I went away on my first trip in the last fortnight and we were running the fridge on 230v power. Put it to as cold as it could go on the thermostat but found it didn't chill our drinks too much, just a little. No where near what our house fridge does anyway :)

Is this normal? The freezer part was working well and froze items but found the fridge was just chilling the drinks a little and not making cans really cold etc
 #147836  by mattn
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm
Very normal - on 240V, my 3Way, without the computer fan, reads over 10degrees when its 30 outside. With the the fan it drops 2 or 4 degrees cooler. Most 3Ways work better on Gas, but they still struggle to maintain cool temperatures.

3Way fridges are rates for the climate. Climate classes are

SN = Subnormal: suitable for use in ambient temperatures of +10°C to +32°C
N = Normal: suitable for use in ambient temperatures of +16°C to +32°C
ST =Subtropical: suitable for use in ambient temperatures of +16°C to +38°C
T = Tropical: suitable for use in ambient temperatures of +16°C to +43°C

In practice in New Zealand you really need a minimum of ST, ideally T rating.
 #147863  by mattn
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:33 am
Common thing people do is install a small fan in the back of the fridge. This forces airflow over the hot bits and gets them cooler. You can buy 'kits' from RV suppliers, but most of us use a Computer fan that are cheap and 12V.

viewtopic.php?t=12886 is a good starting point - although note my post - I believe a thermostat is overkill. Just have a switch to turn it off and on manually.
 #147877  by Holistic Palace
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:50 pm
We chill our 3 way fridge for 24hrs on power before we head away, have found the freezer cools down faster than the fridge
Once at temp, the freezer is around minus 13 & the fridge around 4deg, depending on the fridge setting & how full the fridge is. This does not seem to affect the temp in the freezer with either full or part empty
When we are away & on gas, the fridge / freezer tends to be colder on the same setting than we had it when on power
Pay with Paymate Express