Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #138747  by PeterNZ
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 am
Hello all,

sorry probably a silly newbie question what is the definition of a Luton bed? Is this a name for any sleeping arrangement on top of the driver cab? Or is it a special type of this sort of bed? Back home we would have called it an alcove. A google search for "Luton" came up with "Luton is a large town in Bedfordshire" :D

I am looking at motorhomes at the moment on TradeMe. Why do so many sellers waste photo allowance on TradeMe with pictures of WOF stickers, odometers, self-contained stickers etc? No idea. I found the Bus style motorhomes often have a huge permanent double bed in the back resulting in often only two seats and a tiny table for seating arrangements. I found some discussions on here about the pros and cons of this set up. Since I will be by myself I think I lean towards the over-cab bed.

Cheers

Peter
 #138748  by Karmann57
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 am
Here is a UK buyers guide which explains the pro's and con's of a luton ( over cab ) bed.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motor ... orhomes/14

I find my permanently made up bed in our 2 berth LT35 are fine, we sit on them during the day and sleep in them at night without the bother of climbing into an over cab bed.
 #138750  by PeterNZ
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:29 am
Thanks for the link, karman57. I wasn't familiar with the term "Luton bed".

From what you are saying I think the first decision which has to be made is "permanent bed or temporary?" I am pro permanent bed. The next questions to me is "Where should the bed be, over the cab or integrated in the floor plan?" I think it is now clear(er) to me that I prefer the Luton bed/over cab. I wouldn't think I have issues getting in and out but it gives the advantage of having more floor space available. This leads to another decision. Since over-cab are usually found in truck based motorhomes the bus based ones are dropping further down my list.

Gosh what a process, but quite enjoyable, too. I am glad I found this forum here.

Oh while I have your attention, one more question please. Please an honest answer. What would people think if I would walk up to a motorhome I see parked somewhere and would ask them if I could have a look. Is this a no-no? Privacy etc?

Cheers

Peter
 #138751  by scubadoo
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 am
PeterNZ wrote: . Please an honest answer. What would people think if I would walk up to a motorhome I see parked somewhere and would ask them if I could have a look. Is this a no-no? Privacy etc?
I suspect most would welcome the attention. ;) They can always say no.
In 3 years of full time travelling we have been approached perhaps 15 times by total strangers for a peek inside our motorhome.
If I am at all curious about another RV the easiest method is simply to start up a conversation about their setup. 9 times out of 10 they will soon be welcoming an inspection.
 #138753  by Roamnz
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am
Peter, here is a photo of single beds in the Luton area. We designed this for a 7.3m Traillite motorHome which we had custom built in 2007. The carpeted stairs and standing platform lift up on gas struts to give roomy access to the cab area. The bed area could be used as extra seating if need be as there is more than full head height.

This gave us a huge lounge area at the rear, all this in 7.3m on an Isuzu cab and chassis.
Attachments
luton roamnz.jpg
 #138755  by PeterNZ
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:25 am
Roamnz wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am
Peter, here is a photo of single beds in the Luton area. We designed this for a 7.3m Traillite motorHome which we had custom built in 2007. The carpeted stairs and standing platform lift up on gas struts to give roomy access to the cab area. The bed area could be used as extra seating if need be as there is more than full head height.

This gave us a huge lounge area at the rear, all this in 7.3m on an Isuzu cab and chassis.
(Could a moderator please adjust the photo, for some reason it has uploaded sideways and I am unable to correct that!)
This is nice, even on its side :D I love your design. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Peter
 #138758  by Karmann57
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm
This is a photo of our LT35 which as I said above has two single 'permanent' beds which are used as lounge seating during the day. Works fine for us.
Attachments
IMG_4353.JPG
Pay with Paymate Express