Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #151882  by Nut17
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 pm
Have the brakes settled in OK Andrew?
 #152019  by Andrew and Debbie
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 pm
Yes, Chris, the brakes are working fine.

After reading on here about the issues Chris had with the Alko electric brakes in his caravan, I thought maybe the lack of brakes on our caravan might be for the same reason. First thing i did was adjust the brakes up, they needed quite a bit of adjustment. But that made no difference.

So after reading about the apparently faulty magnets that were fitted to some Alko brake setups about 4-5 years ago, I went to Repco and purchased 4 replacement magnets. After fitting the first new magnet, I carried out a very unscientific experiment comparing the old and new magents lifting a 12 inch crescent spanner. The old magnet did lift it, but the new magnet was much better, I couldn't get the spanner of it without disconnecting the power. And the new one drew more amps than the old one.

So after fitting the 4 new magnets and re-adjusting the brakes again, the caravan brakes worked really well. In fact I had to adjust the maximum voltage at the brake controller right back to prevent wheel lockups.

So after a trip up the Coromandel last weekend I am much happier with the brake's performance. The magnets, faulty or not, are after all, a wear item like the brake shoes, and need replacing periodically.

 #152024  by Nut17
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:35 pm
Thanks for the update Andrew. You have now been officially delegated as our "Guru" on AlKo electric brakes :-T ;) :)
 #152961  by Andycap
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Took the c/van to the local weighbridge to get some accurate figure on weights . All weights well within stipulated limits so happy with that .Towed with NO safety chains on ,as per the discussions , felt apprehensive this first time though . :TU
 #153098  by Drifting
 Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Attacked the Gas Cooker Burner Caps.(Smev 403 4 burnner) Majority of the screws were seized. Had to drill the heads off and use some penetrating oil to loosen up the screws. Using my vice grips to screw the leftover screw bits out. Oops, need some replacement screws now but i do have 2 old ones for a sample. Can get similar replacements from the UK but will try a local source first.
Also gave the top a good wipe.
Early start to Spring Cleaning.
 #155536  by Andycap
 Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Hi ,Mounted an extra reverse camera to the caravan . All bases now covered, long distance for seeing whats way back behind and super close for reversing . Gave up with the plastic splice thingy`s to join the wires after wasting an hour trying to get good connections and went back to twisting together and soldering . Also replaced a few broken off screws holding various parts on !! and tightened some water hose inlet clips .
 #155541  by Nut17
 Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm
Lowered the mounting point for the bikes and refitted the bike rack to the back of our new van. The number plate is still clearly visible and the bikes are at an easy height to lift into place. I just need to get the custom made cover modified to fit the new rack.
Also fitted the large plastic clip on feet for the stabiliser legs that were supplied with the van.
The narrow view (62 deg) rear view camera has arrived and I now need to work out how to get the cable down inside the rear panel of the van. I may just feed it down the inside of one of the bike rack supports.
 #155560  by Waymad
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:17 pm
Chris, no numbers no pack drill, but at the Christchurch self-containment day (passed, yay...) there was a vehicle in front with an external wire to the light cluster for power, running up and then through the window seal, to the camera which was masking-taped to the inside of aforesaid window, facing out (obviously). Needs must.....emulation perhaps not recommended....
  • 1
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
Pay with Paymate Express