#7824  by markandirene
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 am
We are contemplating the purchase of the above model generator so that we can run the microwave/espresso coffee machine/chest freezer in trailer when off mains power etc. I understand that one can't go wrong with this pure sine wave make and that they are very economical to run as they have an eco-throttle allowing them to idle when not under load. Do any members have one of these that they can rave about or otherwise?

Cheers
Mark and Irene

(Must be showing my age to have to edit 3 times - sorry folks, in too much of a hurry!)
Last edited by markandirene on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #7826  by RobJane
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am
Hi Mark & Irene
We recently purchased that model and are very pleased with it. We hv had it going beside our motorhome and it doesn't over power you with its noise. We also purchased a dehumidflier for drying clothes.. it great to have the 240 option... mind you not everyone likes generators... but as you say they are so quiet. Starts first time everytime and yes very economical.
Regards
Jane & Rob
 #7828  by Brian
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 pm
Hi Jane and Rob - We have had our Honda Generator EU20i for 4 years and no problems at all. When we were at the Cromwell Easter Rally, Honda had a display and we took our generator over to them and got a change of oil, plus a new oil pack for $10 greatr value. Have had no problem with our one which we use to recharge the batteries during winter after an outing. Where we store the bus, we have no power, so use the geni to give the batteries a bit of a burst.

Brian
 #7831  by Woody
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 pm
It would be a good choice Mark and Irene. We have had our EU20i for over three years now and never had a problem with it. Like others have said an easy starter, low noise. It is not "no noise" so we still consider others when we do use it. We carry it mainly as a back up for when the sun doesn't shine and the panels don't keep up. I keep a diary of the running hours so that I know when an oil change is due. I also try to remember to give it run once a month when the motorhome is sitting idle. Good luck with your purchase.

A tale that may help you make up your mind. When I was looking around at generators I was quite kean on the yellow chineese look-a-like model, because it was cheaper. The retailer said to me have a look in the workshop and see how many yellow ones are here for repairs and look now for a red one. (He did sell both). It was no contest, red for me all the way and no regrets.

Cheers

Woody
 #7840  by Andrew and Debbie
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:56 pm
We have one of the yellow generators. It's called a Kipor and we have the 2.4 kw model. I decided to buy the Kipor because it was considerably cheaper than the Honda and I wanted the extra .4 kw. It is very handy for running the espresso machine, the microwave, charging the seahorse kontiki batteries etc when we are camping off power. I have had many comments on how quiet and unobtrusive it is. It starts first time everytime and hasn't given us any problems.

Andrew
 #7849  by markandirene
 Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:18 pm
Thanks all, for your informative replies. Even though we had probably already made our mind up, we have today ordered off Generator Place, the Honda EU20i. They have a very good deal going at the moment, if you care to look at their website: www.generatorplace.co.nz
Normal Price: $3026 Special Price: $2499 (including Vinyl Dust Cover - Value $100, Security Cable - Value $45, Extended Warranty to 4 years - Value $100, and Free Delivery - Value $40).

I have checked out all other deals on this make and model generator that I can find and this one seems to beat them all.

Generator Place will be at the Motorhome and Caravan Expo in Christchurch 2 - 4 October with similar deals, they tell me. So if you are in the market for a great generator, this could be your golden opportunity! (By the way, we will be going to the Expo ourselves, as we also did last year).

Thanks once again to all who responded with your posts. I am sure we will be very happy with our purchase.

Cheers
Mark and Irene
 #7855  by Andrew and Debbie
 Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:54 am
I guess that would depend on the output of the battery charger that you have plugged into the generator.

Andrew
Pay with Paymate Express