#8827  by bazzanz
 Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:40 am
This is a very basic question even dumb, perhaps but I am about to install
a reversing camera & am unsure how best to run the wiring.
Obviously the monitor will be just above the dash & the camera mounted
at the rear. It looks a rather daunting proposition to run internally & be
unobtrusive also would need to go around all sorts of obstacles, requiring
a cable length considerably more than the distance between the screen
& camera.
Is it ok to run it underneath under the floor after passing thu a hole drilled
in the cab somewhere & if so where/how is best?

Cheers Barry
 #8852  by WoodyZ
 Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:39 pm
Provided you have enough cable, it can be run almost anywhere that you choose. Really the only things to keep in mind is protecting the cable from snagging and chafing. I would also avoid running any great distance next to power cables.
 #9088  by Zukiwi
 Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:01 pm
Gidday Barry

It's a question that I pondered too. How about running the camera cable through the upper rear wall (with appropriate gland or sealing grommet) into the upper rear cupboard, to the right side, along through the right side overhead lockers, behind the califont, down into the cab under the driver's seat and floor mat and up under the dash?

Cheers
John
 #11903  by Van Campa
 Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:33 am
bazzanz wrote:This is a very basic question even dumb, perhaps but I am about to install
a reversing camera & am unsure how best to run the wiring.
Obviously the monitor will be just above the dash & the camera mounted
at the rear. It looks a rather daunting proposition to run internally & be
unobtrusive also would need to go around all sorts of obstacles, requiring
a cable length considerably more than the distance between the screen
& camera.
Is it ok to run it underneath under the floor after passing thu a hole drilled
in the cab somewhere & if so where/how is best?

Cheers Barry
Hi Barry,

About to tackle this myself on my MB Sprinter.
In my case it is probably quite easy as I have no furniture at the back yet.

So I am planning to run wires overhead in a suitable duct which I need to buy from some electrical outlet.

One thing you need to think about the cable is impedance. Video cable needs to be 75 ohms and radio antennas 50 ohms for some reason. Using wrong impedance could cause loss of signal.

I use TV coaxial for video coming from camera. Ask for RG6 or RG59 from electrical shop.
 #11913  by johnaye
 Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 pm
Hi guys. Have been there and done that with my MB sprinter ex Maui.. We ran cable from the camera high up on the exterior through the rear wall and into the rear overhead cupboard and along the internal driver side upper cupboards to the electrical one then hooked up with other cabling going to the dashboard. It didnt use too much extra cable and was a very neat unseen job.. The monitor is very similar to the stereo/monitor in the pic above in this thread and works well. Only drawback is it only works on aux (cam ) or one of the menus not both . As i dont leave the cam on while driving it doesnt really worry me too much.. The wiring job wasnt too hard for me as that is what future son in laws are for.. He does a great job too.. Can recomend him if you are in the Wellie area
John
Pay with Paymate Express