#153859  by Nut17
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm
During testing of our new van installation I used a 2000 watt fan heater to drag the battery bank down - Votronic showing -164 Amps. Ran it for a full hour without anything getting hot or failing and battery cells all staying nice and even under load. ;) :)
 #154838  by Derb
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:16 pm
Hi Fellas. I have spent a day or so rolling around under the bed in the Southern Star having a bit of a tidy-up of the Batteries, Inverter and associated wiring. Is great when you finally borrow a good lug-crimper and a plan comes together. I munted a little finger in the process so typing is a bit frustrating :D . Waaaaay back Neil brought in some Battery Monitors from overseas and I bought one off him. Neddy,s #3 it was. Soooo - I finally fitted up the Shunt (200 amp) whilst completing this project. A good while back I also ran out the wiring through the fridge-cavity to the panel on which I am mounting the Monitor (along with a spare 7-conductor cable for future use). Now I havent got a set of installation/operating instructions for the Monitor :roll: .
Terminals as follows;

+ (Vext) -.......... + (RLY) -.......... Vin.......... SNS.......... AGND.......... GND

That is 8 Terminal connections.

I know all of you technical types are very keen for me to complete the installation of my flash new expensive "Worry-Meter" so I can stop relying on my trusty "Voltmeter" :lol:
Any help much appreciated whilst I have a bit of momentum with this project.
Cheers.
 #154840  by NeilV
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:22 pm
This should help?
Attachments
00C6018D-256B-4DFA-AE3D-B38063F49FC6.jpeg
 #154842  by Karmann57
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Neilv's diagram is the one I used, the key is to loop from the Vin to +Vext at the green circuit board, then run your +v feed to the Vin terminal . The rest of the connections are then obvious.

I installed one of these about a year ago and very happy with it. Another trick is to zero the AMPS reading when you know there is no charge or load in/out of the battery by holding the AMPS display button down for a few seconds. This ensures that the A% value does not slowly sink down when it is sitting at float on the mains charger.

P.S. I ran a 4 metre length of 4 core shielded audio cable from the Shunt ( at the battery ) up to the switch panel on the overhead locker , where the "Elite Panel" is located plugged into the back of the Monitor.

P P S and I have not bothered to "calibrate the HIGH current" , don't think it is essential.
 #154844  by Derb
 Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:40 pm
Cheers Fellas - Just what the Doctor ordered :TU
 #154864  by Derb
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am
Hi Fellas. One thing puzzles me. The 2 GND's to all intents and purposes go to the same position but different terminals on the shunt. What is the purpose of this? Is it not possible to bridge the 2 at the BM itself? Cheers.
 #154866  by Neddy
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am
The thin (blue) wires are the shunt "Sense" leads. You are measuring minute voltages across the shunt and the wires carrying this cannot be shared with anything else at all - not even the meter's own power supply.

Neville.
Pay with Paymate Express