#145940  by J.F.
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:53 am
Hello everybody,

I am brandnew to the forum.

I posted this problem on Facebook in the NZMCA WINGS group and somybody advised to post also here.

Maybe somebody can help.

We bought a new Jayco Silverline. For living off grid we ordered it at South Auckland Caravans with 440w solar, 200 amp batteries and a 2000w pure sine inverter. After 3 days living in it and charging the toothbrush and the laptop we noticed the voltage at the inverter goes down every day and is different to the voltage shown on the JHUB. It went on until the inverter shuts down at 10.9v. The last two days the caravan was in the workshop and they changed the batteries and the inverter. We left the workshop yesterday afternoon and again the same story. It started at 12.5 and is now at the next day down to 12.1. The sun is currently shining on our solar panels and charges the batteries. JHUB says the batteries have a voltage at 13.6v.

Anybody had the same problems? Thanks for your help.

Cheers George
 #145944  by Neddy
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 am
George, you need a battery monitor to see what is really going on. Have you got one?
The first thing I would check is the solar controller to confirm that your solar system is working as it should. When you say "The sun is currently shining on our solar panels and....... the batteries have a voltage at 13.6v" we don't know whether the batteries are fully charged and the controller has switched to Float mode, or that the batteries are near flat and your solar panels are not producing enough power to raise the voltage to the usual 14.6v (or whatever charge voltage it is set to). Do you have a separate solar controller or is this part of the JHUB functionality? Either way, most solar controllers show whether they are in Charge or Float mode - does yours?
I would also wonder if the 12v cabling to the inverter is of adequate gauge, but check on the solar controller and solar charging performance first.

Neville.
 #145946  by Nut17
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am
Adding to Neddy's comments. My investigation of the JHub specifications shows a 100 Amp shunt. A 2000 watt inverter will exceed that rating by up to 60 Amps. I suspect the the inverter has been wired bypassing the JHub electrical monitoring function and this may well be the cause of your inconsistency. Some photos showing the inverter power supply from the battery to inverter should clarify that situation.
When I investigated an upgrade to a later model Silverline with the JHub monitoring I quickly realised that the fancy colour screen could still be used for tank monitoring, temperature and clock, but due to the excessive current required to make all our toys work I needed to fit a Votronic battery monitor to manage and measure battery charging, discharging and state of charge. This is exactly what I have done with the "Drifter" factory fitted panel in our current 2015 25' Silverline Outback.
 #145953  by J.F.
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 pm
I am also at the point the colorful pictures (JHUB) are nice, but the more goodies the more error potential.

Menwhile I took a closer look and saw a fuse between battery 1 and 2. This was blown, so everything was working, but battery 2 was not charged and the inverter drained it by time.

I think I will buy something in the close future to measure the voltage.

Thank you very much for your support.
 #145954  by J.F.
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:48 pm
About the shunt with max. 100 amp. I expect they bypassed it, because on the JHUB is nothing about the inverter. It seems 'electrically' I am a bloody greenhorn. Our thinking was, you bought the caravan new, let the dealer do the add ons, they will know what they do and it doesn't effect in any case your warrenty.

Ok. Lesson learnt for the next time.
 #145955  by Nut17
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 pm
If they have bypassed the shunt with the inverter connection, the JHub will never ever be able to provide any meaningful information regarding the state of charge or measuring current being generated or consumed.
I am at a loss as to why there is a fuse between the two batteries, and as one has been fitted - What has caused it to blow? Normally the two batteries would be connected in parallel (+ to +) and( - to - ). Then the main connections hooked up with the plus to one battery and the minus to the other. The fuse should be between the battery plus terminal and the load.
 #145964  by Nut17
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 pm
This has similar specifications for around half the price. I purchased this one for a mate who does not do internet purchases. ;) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-U ... 4c4dHNXhWy I have a 400 amp Jaycar clamp meter that I paid about $85 for about five years ago.
Pay with Paymate Express