#145984  by Mark
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:05 pm
I know this sounds a lot like the title of another thread, but I'm wondering if the answers are the same.

Is it a matter of getting one of those crafty devices that Neddy has found and tweaking the settings for 12V charging?
Or is there, in fact, a much simpler solution?

I have 12V truck and house batteries, a VSR on the truck side, 315W of solar and a 30 amp solar controller charging the house batteries.
What is the easiest way to keep the truck batteries topped up, particularly in winter when it is seldom used?
 #145985  by Neddy
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 pm
The simplest way to accomplish this is to fit an "Emergency Parallel" switch that simply links your Starter and House batteries in parallel whenever you like. This could be whenever you want to leave the vehicle for a while or if your Starter battery should ever need assistance in cranking the engine. It also givse your House battery access to a bit more storage capacity should this ever be needed.

The best way to accomplish this is with a Dual-sensing VSR.
I think that most Kea RVs are fitted with these as a standard (ours certainly was) so you might well find that you already have one and don't need to do anything at all.

With the engine Off, your House battery fully charged and the sun shining, take a look at the VSR that is fitted and see if its red "On" LED is lit (ie the Starter and House batteries are connected in parallel). If it is, you have already got a Dual-Sensing VSR.

Neville.
 #145986  by Mark
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:10 pm
Thanks Neville.
It may be a week or so before I can test this: I'm still awaiting replacement bits for my faulty battery monitor - and in the meantime, I have one of the house batteries out.
It will be good if it is that simple. (I know it's a VSR (it says so) but I don't recall seeing "DVSR". We'll see.)
 #146019  by Neddy
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:16 pm
BEP Voltage Sensitive Relays may be labelled as "DVSR" models, but are not necessarily Dual Sensing. They use "DVSR" to identify their Digital Voltage Sensitive Relays. The initials DS may be added after the model number to denote some Dual Sense versions eg 710-125A-DS.
In short, a "DVSR" model may not be Dual Sensing and a "VSR" model may be. It seems crazy that their Dual Sensing VSRs are not labelled as such.

The best VSRs provide useful additional features such as connection terminals for a remote LED indicator and full manual override control so you can force relay activation or deactivation if desired.

Neville.
 #146040  by Mark
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 am
The text on my VSR is:
BEP
Digital voltage sensitive relay
12.24 V Auto
Ignition protected
125A Cont
140A Max
Second battery charging - Red on

Will have to be patient and wait for the replacement monitor to arrive before I put the house battery bank back together.
(The package cleared the airport depot on 31 Oct but are (apparently) still on their way to Rotorua!! :roll: )
 #146089  by Mark
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:39 pm
Neddy wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 pm
With the engine Off, your House battery fully charged and the sun shining, take a look at the VSR that is fitted and see if its red "On" LED is lit (ie the Starter and House batteries are connected in parallel). If it is, you have already got a Dual-Sensing VSR.

Neville.
I'm pretty sure that my situation meets those criteria.
The red light is on.
:) :) :)
 #146091  by Nut17
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm
Sounds like you have got most of the boxes ticked now Mark. Must be getting close to a decent "shakedown cruise" :TU
Pay with Paymate Express