#146096  by RogerNH
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 am
I converted to Lithium batteries seven years ago - 2 x 100 amp hour 12 v - and checks show they still have not lost any capacity. I did add the battery voltage balancer from Ali express a few months ago and at the same time reset all the cell voltages by resistance discharge. (there was a variation of up to 0.04v between cells)
I have a Votronic Monitor with a 100 amp shunt . To date, my heaviest current drain is when I use a 600w pure sine wave inverter but I now want to fit a much larger inverter to enable me to meet my addictive needs for a decent coffee.
The capsule coffee machine I want to use has a maximum draw of 1400 watts so with the inverter loss will mean a current drain of around 130 amps - albeit for only a couple of minutes per brew.
My question is:- will the 100 amp shunt carry this overload and will the batteries be able to supply this current without damage?
Roger H
 #146097  by petercw
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:23 am
If you use our method of making coffee you won't need any voltage use..
Bring a large pot to the boil, having put in 2 & half cups water, add your coffee, fine filter grade and abt a large heap tablespoon, turn down to simmer and wait a few minutes.. Pour and drink hot hot coffee..
This is cowboy strength coffee.. Just great coffee. :D :TU
 #146098  by scubadoo
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am
Roger
From the manual:
Max. Current 15 Minutes 150 A
Max. Current 7 Minutes 200 A

Your battery pack will deliver the current with ease. :TU

No need for concern. Enjoy your coffee.
 #146102  by mattn
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 am
Unfortunately the shunt will probably overload. If it survives, its possible the accuracy of the battery will be affected over the time its in overload. Its also possible the shunt could loose calibration from being over heated.

Ideally replace the shunt with a larger one. As Votronic use a 'Smart Shunt', not sure if its possible - technically I expect so, but getting hold of one might be another story.
 #146103  by Neddy
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 am
The Votronic manual states that their battery monitor with a "100 Amp" shunt is good for up to 1000 Amps (in short bursts).

Rogers proposed current drain of "around 130 amps for only a couple of minutes per brew" runs no risk of damaging the unit.
Pay with Paymate Express