#146526  by Allanz44
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 pm
I don't want to plug in multiple plugs or anything like that.
I want a plug near the front and a plug near the rear both connected to a relay that will only liven up the lead that is plugged in . Therefore isolating the unconnected plug and having NO power feedback . This can be done with a manual switching but a modern relay is more than capable of handling the required 16amps.
Do I have to have a manual switch ? Or can I use a relay ?
 #146528  by mattn
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 pm
Sorry - back on topic - yes you can install an automatic transfer. I am not an electrician, but I believe it needs to switch all three poles (Phase/Neutral and Earth). These are relatively common as they are used for emergency power switching to generators. Obviously your sparky will need to wire it in and will work out the best way to achieve it for you.
 #146531  by vansvilla
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
Just to clarify, you want the option of using the shortest ext lead in any given park.
Therefore you propose to fit a Female input socket at each end of your bus.
Then you will run the supply from each Female socket to the main switch board.

I don't know the answer but people here thought that one was going to be a Male plug.

As Chris pointed out, it may then allow you to introduce 2 inputs concurrently thereby having 32 amps to play with. That's serious loads for a Motor home though.
 #146532  by Nut17
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:18 am
The van that I was referring to was a late 80's Aussie Built Regent with a body length around 28 feet. The only gas appliance was the stove, with every other energy using device in the van requiring 230v - Including hot water and fridge. The twin power input sockets were mounted side by side about 200mm apart. 20 years ago, many of the camp grounds still reticulated their electrical outlets via the now obsolete alloy sockets which were in many cases protected by very old and suspect auto tripping fuses. This twin hookup was purely to help overcome the unreliability of the powered sites electrical supply of the time. It may well have been illegal - but it worked ! I doubt that the camp grounds in question had any certification for their supply in those days either :o
 #146536  by Allanz44
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:28 am
You are correct Vansvilla with what I intend to do.
But controlling the switching to my mains board with a relay woul mean that only one inlet could be used at a time.
Lead 1 is connected to the normally closed side of the relay

Lead 2 is connected to the normally open side and is also connected to the coil

Power down 1 is direct to the board and 2 is disconnected. Power down 2 activates the coil switching off 1 and allowing 2 to connect.

I have a similar setup on my board switching off unwanted circuits when I switch over to my inverter. I basically have a UPS, but it only supplies essential circuits.
 #146557  by NeilV
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:22 pm
unless they are on totally separated circuits...?

if you're doing this for load sharing... I'm thinking wire one half of your outlets to the front, the other half to the back and 'load share' between the ends would be perfectly safe and acceptable IF they both had separate RCD's etc.

*Bonus is using a short extension cable if the back is too loaded and needs an extra device powered (or vice versa)

*Drawback is requiring two separate fuse/mains setups
 #146597  by markcraven
 Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:46 am
The answer to your question is yes. Clause 3.2.4 of AS/NZS 3001 clearly permits multiple supplies, and, along with para 2 of 3.5.1.1 says how to do it. Just check with your electrician/inspector that they are happy for you to do the cable runs etc
Pay with Paymate Express