#148270  by Maverick Dragon
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:30 am
Hi All
I have had my house batteries tested & they are operating at 80% of their capacity...
At what capacity % should i replacing them?
Is this why my expensive BEP battery monitor is not operating correctly?
 #148275  by Neddy
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 am
A commonly accepted level is 70% to 80%, but so long as the residual capacity is sufficient for your needs, why not hang in there a bit longer?
What, specifically, is the problem with your BEP monitor? A simple fall in battery capacity would not cause any malfunction.

Neville.
 #148277  by Maverick Dragon
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 am
Thanks Neville
That is as I suspected...
saving up for new batteries - hopefully by mid Autumn - 100% would be good in the Mainland winter :)
As to the battery monitor - doesn't seem to read battery charge - % or amphrs accurately
It can say 72% - 86% & when I attach generator it takes only a short time to reach 100%
:mrgreen:
 #148281  by Karmann57
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:29 pm
You have not said what size battery you have. The BEP monitor should have a parameter to tell it what size battery ( amp hours ) you have , if you have not set this value then it can not derive the % full using the Amps in/out.

If you think the battery efficiency is 80% then you should allow for that when setting the capacity parameter. E,g if 200ah battery and 80% then set the monitor to 160ah. Then charge it for a day using your mains charger and the % should reach 100.

If it is a small battery and a big generator then it may not take long to go from 80% to 100%.
 #148290  by Maverick Dragon
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 pm
I have 2x 6v 220ah batteries.
How would I go about adjusting the parameters?
The monitor is a BEP Matrix - 1 screen, 3 buttons down the right-hand side, about 6 years old no model # on the outside
Does anyone have a manual?
:mrgreen:
 #148308  by Neddy
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:21 am
MEASURE YOUR BATTERY CAPACITY.
Use a mains-powered smart charger to fully charge the battery (ie until the charger drops to its Float stage). Alternatively, this could be done using your solar controller.
Note the BEP battery AmpHour reading (the manufacturers default value is 220Ah).
Connect an inverter running a 100w light bulb. The inverter will switch off when its Low Voltage Cutout point is reached.
Note the AmpHour reading again. The difference is your actual battery Capacity.

ENTER THE ACTUAL BATTERY CAPACITY INTO THE METER.
Hold down buttons V and C for 3 seconds.
Page through the set-up options using C repeatedly until you reach MAX CAP.
Use the V (up) and A (down) buttons to set the monitor to the measured Ah capacity value.

FULLY RECHARGE THE BATTERY (ie to Float stage)

RE-SET THE METER TO 100% CAPACITY.
Page down (using C repeatedly) to reach the RST CAP field.
Change the NO to YES.
Hit C to exit set-up mode.

Neville.
Pay with Paymate Express