#151933  by Nut17
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 pm
myles wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 pm
It will be interesting to see the condition of these. HiPower weren't around long and from memory their quality was a bit hit and miss (though I think there was a lot of marketing games going on at the time from other manufacturers).
The 600 AH Bank I had in our last caravan comprised (8 x 300 AH) HiPower cells that had been in an off grid house in Dunedin for three years before I purchased them and close to seven years old when I sold the van. I performed a capacity test in September 2017 using a 20 amp load for just on 30 hours and the Votronic meter reached "0" AH remaining.
Voltage was beginning to drop off with the four pairs of paralleled cells all at 2.8v - 2.9v The battery dropped below 12 volts for the first time that I had owned it - 11.5 volts. Result - I was pretty happy that at almost 8 years old there was virtually zero loss of capacity. ( I was reluctant to continue the discharge to the manufacturers recommended minimum 2.5 volts per cell.) These cells have had a fairly easy life since I have owned them with a 13.8 volt maximum charge voltage and very seldom discharged below 50%. On that basis I am fairly optimistic that these cells I have just purchased will be in pretty good shape. :-T ;)
 #152130  by Nut17
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm
I collected these cells this afternoon and they look even better in the flesh ;) Cell bulging is minimal and should easily be rectified when reassembled.
When I get them home I will re configure them into two 200 AH packs - each complete with automated cell balancing and monitoring. The packs will be compressed using alloy and plates and four threaded rods. I have pre sold one pack and the other will be back on Trademe in about a months time.
 #152136  by NeilV
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 pm
Please do advertise on here in advance?
 #152137  by Nut17
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:49 pm
Yes Neil, I will make them available here when the time comes :) :TU
 #152186  by NeilV
 Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:47 pm
Nomadic wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:51 pm
This seems like a good budget solution for basic lifepo4 cell balancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVQ_8DUpm4
Thanks for that! Sounds awesome... my main concern for second hand/own made was my understanding of needing a bms but clueless on how to add/make one effectively :TU
Pay with Paymate Express