#13002  by Brownie
 Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 pm
I have a problem with bubbling of the paint on the edge of one of the aluminium plates (looks like electrolysis)that replaced the windows of our 9 metre Fuso bus.
This problem seems to have happened since we have been parked up and hooked up on 230 volt power for the last six weeks and the affected area is in the panel where the incoming power is.
I have had a Electrician check the earthing of the 230 volt with no problems found.
Any help would be most appreciated. :idea: :?:

Thanks Maurice
 #13188  by ojf
 Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
hi brownie, just a thought, try a sacrafical anode, can be purchased from any marine shop,i went down this track with a launch, a few years ago. ;)
 #13204  by purdiegood
 Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm
Hi Brownie, Don't think your problem is electrolsis as in it being anything to do with your electrical supply. My reading of the situation is that of poorly painted panel. The edge of the panel has not been painted properly or the preparation was not good in that area. It is easy to miss the edge of such a panel when spraying the paints. I would suspect that the paint film in this area is quite minimal and corrosion has started at the panel edge and is spreading under the paint. Corrosion such as you describe is a form of electrolysis. Basically any corrosion (rust) has to have 3 things present to happen, moisture, oxygen and eletricity. Take any one away and it will stop. Ofcourse it could be some chemical attack eg. salt deposits especially on the lower edges of things. It happens that the lower edge of things is where the drips dry out after any rain, when they dry out the disolved chemicals are left behind to become concentrated. This is why complete and proper painting of edges is so important or ensure they are well sealed against ingress of contaminants. This is quite a brief reason and I could bore you for hours with corrosion prevention in aerospace equipment after 30 years working on aircraft.
Regards Brian
 #13207  by Brownie
 Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am
Thanks very much for your replies ojf and purdiegod.

Maurice
Pay with Paymate Express