#149982  by scubadoo
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Chris
Do you have your Votronic battery monitor setup to disconnect at x% SOC and if so what mechanism disconnects the battery?
I have done away with such circuitry and now simply piezo alarm at 20% SOC not that it ever reaches that level during normal use. I have a Victron 120A solid state low voltage disconnect set at 12.1V but never expect it to trip.
Our lowest voltage ever noted was 12.9V. We don't have a huge inverter though.
 #149987  by markcraven
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:53 am
Hi scubadoo

I had to fit a Votronic switch unit (I chose the 100A version) to get the warranty. Couldn't find it on the AA site except the price but here is a link to it from another site
https://www.solar4rvs.com.au/votronic-switch-unit-100
Like you I find it unnecessary and use an alarm on my Junsi cell logger instead. I have more alarms going off at the top end more than anything :D
 #149988  by Nut17
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 am
scubadoo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Chris
Do you have your Votronic battery monitor setup to disconnect at x% SOC and if so what mechanism disconnects the battery?
I have done away with such circuitry and now simply piezo alarm at 20% SOC not that it ever reaches that level during normal use. I have a Victron 120A solid state low voltage disconnect set at 12.1V but never expect it to trip.
Our lowest voltage ever noted was 12.9V. We don't have a huge inverter though.
No, Neville. I have to admit that I have absolutely no safety nets at all with our system apart from having the Votronic in a prominent position in the van. I did purchase a 100 Amp Votronic relay but never installed it as we often have a load of up to 160 Amps. Our current set up (for another 7 days) with 600AH has only ever been below 50% once in four years and was still showing 13.0 volts. I may well incorporate the relay in our new build coming up. ;)
 #150000  by scubadoo
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 am
Thanks Chris.
I have slowly removed a lot of my initial protection from the mix and am now at the minimalist stage.
These batteries are far more tolerant to possible but unlikely minor abuse that many pundants would have us believe will end in catastrophe.
 #150001  by scubadoo
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:58 am
Thank you Mark an interesting device and new to me.

I have a similar cell monitor that is ossasionally inserted. Perhaps I should add it permanently although I have have yet to see a cell exceed 3.60V during normal use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FATJAY- ... 37986.html
 #150111  by Grant4747
 Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 pm
Chris, did I read a while ago you mentioned about sourcing some lithium batteries and wondered if others were interested in purchasing some or was that someone else.
 #150369  by Nut17
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 am
Hi Grant

Yes I did do some extensive research and had some fairly encouraging quotes. However, there were two main reasons I did not go ahead. The port fees at this end were rumored to be exorbitant and I could not get a firm price for this, and secondly I really needed to bring in 200 individual 200 AH cells (50 12 volt 200 Ah batteries) to get an acceptable purchase price. My aim was to source some realistically priced cells for a few interested people - Not set up as a battery retailer ;) :)
 #150393  by Nomadic
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm
Nut17 wrote:Hi Grant

Yes I did do some extensive research and had some fairly encouraging quotes. However, there were two main reasons I did not go ahead. The port fees at this end were rumored to be exorbitant and I could not get a firm price for this, and secondly I really needed to bring in 200 individual 200 AH cells (50 12 volt 200 Ah batteries) to get an acceptable purchase price. My aim was to source some realistically priced cells for a few interested people - Not set up as a battery retailer ;) :)
What was the price in the end per cell in the end?
I did find these too
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8PCS-3- ... 42160ae05e
Pay with Paymate Express