#13245  by Bellinger
 Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 pm
There appears to be a lot of conflicting information on TradeMe. One suggestion is that you use the standard 10 metre 240 volt Campervan lead and add a short Campervan/NZ 3-pin plug and plug directly into the generator. Another seller states that this is illigal and suggests changing the 3-pin socket on the generator for a Campervan socket - I cannot see how this is any different. Also the "House Power Supply" adapter is not suitable as it is for indoor use only - do they produce a weatherproof version?
 #13251  by SteveC
 Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Your right the standard 16a to 10 amp 3 pin adaptor is illigal for a number of reasons. The simplist way around it is to have an IP rated 16 amp socket added to your generator.

You are also right in that the house hold adaptors are not IP rated for use outside but neither is the generator for other than fine dry conditions - unless you get an IP rated one.
SteveC
 #13252  by Bellinger
 Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 pm
Thank you. So if I understand this correctly, then I should replace a 10 amp socket on the generator with a 16 amp socket. Then run generator power to the caravan using the 10 metre caravan power lead. That's simpler than I thought. I note what you say about the IP generator - I guess that's why most installations I have seen are enclosed ( or partly so)
 #13270  by SteveC
 Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:36 pm
Yur right thats the easyest way. Most generators only have standard 3 pin plugs fitted and these should not be used in the rain anymore than an appliance in the rain.

Steve

As a side note, I have just read in the standard that you may fit a 15A 3 pin plug to a supply lead. Is there a chance that the generator has 15 amp sockets on it? these are identifyable by having the larger earth pin.
Pay with Paymate Express