#151280  by NeilV
 Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 pm
Well, I’m still awaiting the ‘rule’ from that original thread too... but here’s a gnarly one to twist it all over again :lol:

I have an electric car that puts out upto 1000W to its 12v battery when required (to charge and maintain the battery when headlights/wipers etc are used).

When needed, I run a 12v 600W inverter straight from the battery terminals.

This then feeds a 30m extension cord that runs into the bus to power my onboard 16A 24V charger that then charges the bus batteries.

There is no ‘mains’ connection except the wire between the inverter to the charger, so I’m only running 1 ‘appliance’ from an inverter, and need no certification (or EWoF) and break no rules either, BUT there IS no earth at all in the system, so where does that leave me? :-T
 #151305  by SimonAKL
 Sat May 11, 2019 1:23 pm
Within the rules but unsafe I guess.

Im wondering if this is the purpose of those strip things you used to see hanging down from cars to the eart h - always thought they were lightning conductors but now I suspect they are earths for caravanners etc.
 #151307  by Andycap
 Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm
Simon ,those strip things you used to see hanging under cars years ago were an earth strap of sorts BUT ,just to get rid of any static electricity build up from the upholstery etc so you didn`t get a shock when getting out of the vehicle and touching the steel .Some upholstery was a `shocker` :roll: for that ,although the worst shock was often when touching another person . Did they actually work ,i would say that`s still open for debate ,never had one myself .
 #151454  by johnny
 Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm
Please post the Standards you used to ;

"Within the rules but unsafe I guess. "

or is this just your opinion.?

Camping Leads ; Complies with Australia and New Zealand safety standards
 #151456  by mattn
 Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm
Please read the thread I linked to. It is long so here is z summary...

An answer explains why rcd leads into vechile is not considered safe. Key thing is understanding and accepting there is a gap between safe and unsafe. So while not safe it is also not unsafe. Other things e.g. multi boxes, are explicitly not allowed so not legal, so no point debating if they are safe, unsafe or in that grey area of not bring either.

You will do as you please, but do not complain if it bites you. Also be aware the forum moderators do not tolerate posts promoting illegal behaviour.
 #151461  by RaymonD
 Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 pm
Official definition of Safety from 'WorkSafe'

“Immediate danger” is considered to be a situation where the agent of harm is already present and is a higher hurdle than just plain “unsafe”. It is certainly a much higher hurdle than “non-compliant”.
Nice 'Play' with words :?
Pay with Paymate Express