#151369  by Chequers
 Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm
Has anyone tried to run a GHD hair straightener which have a stated current consumption of 45 - 50 watts off an inverter? I have tried two different ones on a 500 watt PSW inverter which will charge an ebike battery ok but it wont run one of these! The straightener shows the required temp for a couple of seconds then cuts out.
Could it be that these draw a large current to start then drop to 50 watts? :(
 #151405  by Chequers
 Tue May 14, 2019 2:45 pm
Any one got an answer for this??
 #151406  by NeilV
 Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm
If it was drawing too much from the inverter, your inverter should whine (alarm) and then cut power, but since it’s not alarming (and I highly doubt it’s drawing over 10 times the rated power!) perhaps your inverter May have a smart cutoff when it thinks it’s NOT in use (to save power)?

Try using it while charging the ebike too (if their combined wattage is less than 500W) and see if that works?
 #151408  by Chequers
 Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm
Thanks for that suggestion Neil. I tried that as well as a smaller load than the ebike charger along with the straightener but had the same result. The red led on the inverter gives a very brief flicker and the fan comes on then it immediately cuts out.
Have come to the conclusion that the straightener initially draws more than 500 W to heat up. They do heat up very quick. One day soon I will install a larger inverter but until then her hair will have to stay 'shaggy' !
 #151409  by scubadoo
 Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 pm
Is 500W the continuous or surge rating of the inverter?
At a guess.
1 - The inverter input wiring is too thin and voltage drop is the issue causing an early trip.
2 - The initial cold heating element resistance causes a surge of startup power that briefly exceeds the inverter surge/time rating. 500W for more than a few milliseconds could do it with some inverters.
3 - If the 500W rating is correct and suitably wired then the only fix is a higher surge rated inverter .
 #151460  by Chequers
 Wed May 15, 2019 9:19 pm
I think I will invest in a 12 volt one - only consume 20 watts. Never knew they existed till now!
Thanks for the other suggestions.
Pay with Paymate Express