#153139  by idex
 Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 pm
The following link was found on the Aussie Motorhomers forum. It is fascinating reading for anyone contemplating buying Chinese manufactured products and tells what an electrical engineer saw while checking out potential suppliers to his company.

https://www.mpoweruk.com/china_batteries.pdf
 #153140  by petercw
 Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:22 am
Having been involved in international buying and importing I understand this dilemma and know it's not just China that's like this. I once travelled to England to buy a small machine for resale in NZ, the SM insisted we went to lunch just the 2 of us, and after a near 300 pound lunch took me to the rail station to return to London..I never saw the production line of the "English made" product.. So never bought it.. Just another waisted but interesting exercise.
 #153142  by Nut17
 Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 am
This is the main reason I abandoned the idea of privately importing LiFePO4 prismatic cells. Even if you stick with Sinopoly or Winston cells, there are a multitude of suppliers marketing look alike cells so you still cannot be sure that you are getting the genuine article. Purchasing from a local supplier with a sound warranty makes sense when making a substantial outlay for something that should provide 15 years or so of reliable service.
The Oceanstore manufactured cells marketed in the past by AA Solar as "ABAT" are what I have purchased for our new van. They are second hand, but the price was right and they appear to be in pretty good shape. The new owners of AA Solar are no longer stocking these - mainly due to reliability of supply issues.
 #153147  by Nut17
 Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 am
Pierre Athens (previous owner and founder of AA Solar) apparently still has some residual stocks of the ABAT batteries as the new owners wanted to stick with the Sinopoly cells. I assume he has a restraint of trade imposed by the new owners of AA Solar to prevent him actively marketing them.
The Wikipedia article certainly does not present the parent company of ABAT in a very promising light. Google shows a few sites in China still marketing the cells.
Pay with Paymate Express