#153572  by scubadoo
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 pm
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17215
If you are following Neville's (Neddy) list of low cost battery monitors this thread may be of interest.

Start reading from about here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17215&start=32#p152217

I have now been running this monitor alongside my Votronic battery monitor for a week now.
Impressed? You bet.
The battery SOC readings have yet to vary by more than 2% and they often match. The Juntek is already my default goto monitor screen.

My display is wireless mounted without a single observed glitch.
Easy to read with the necessary numbers displayed on one screen. No button pushing.
Accurate.
Very low idle current.
All numbers are retained in the shunt unit. I turn off the display unit at night.

Did I say I am impressed. :TU
I have no hestitation in recommending this unit for anyone looking to purchase a new and inexpensive battery monitor.
 #153577  by Nut17
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm
Good positive news Neville. I should have held off with my purchase as I have only just today commissioned the Votronic in our new van.
 #153634  by Gadget
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 pm
I have one on the way - thanks for the feedback, helped with the selection process!

We have the older version of the same thing at the moment - still wireless, screen layout is exactly the same. It's got an issue whereby it loses % with each cycle. If I reset it, take (for example) 20AH out and put it back in, it registers about 19.5AH back in - so not 'full' by about 1-2%. This drift adds up an annoying amount over multiple cycles. Clearing it is the only way it ever displays 'full'.

Hoping this new JUNTEK branded one will be better!
 #153637  by scubadoo
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 pm
Gadget wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 pm
..This drift adds up an annoying amount over multiple cycles. Clearing it is the only way it ever displays 'full'...
Sort of a common issue with these types of counting monitors.
My Votronic battery monitor can drift usually to the low side by up to 100Ah over a week if the battery is never actually fully filled. During winter months my battery can spend a week or two drifting between perhaps 40-90% SOC. It certainly relies on those occassional forced 100% SOC resets that occur automagically when the battery pack is very close to that for some reason psychologically satisfying but unnecessary for lithium 100% full state.
Purely guessing at this stage of testing I would say that the Juntek is the better long term counter and at least it is very easy to reset that 100% figure when the battery is known full if has not already done so by itself.
It can also be recalibrated (fine tuned) if it ever proves necessary.

Enjoy your new meter.
 #153643  by Gadget
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:24 am
Yes - appreciate it's a [relatively accurate] series of averaging that goes on in the counting. The odd thing, for us, is even when the caravan is parked up at home and the solar tops it up to every day with near-zero usage, it still slips away over a week or so. Leave it for a month and it's at 50% SOC when fully charged. I couldn't find a setting to set this magic 'full' voltage (which would reset the SOC).

Anyway, hoping the new one will nail it!

Cheers,
Ben.
 #153646  by scubadoo
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:14 am
Easy on the Juntek Ben. OK button > CLR > OK > done.
 #153649  by Neddy
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:39 am
I am sure that one reason the Juntek meter works so well for me is that my AGM House battery is fully charged to 100% by the end of every day. By way of contrast, those running Lithium batteries are generally advised not to routinely charge to 100%, but to stop at maybe 95%. Chris, for example, can go weeks without getting above 90% charge. In such circumstances any Ah counting meter will drift and become increasingly inaccurate.
 #153652  by Nut17
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:06 am
Actually Neddy, for most of the year we reached 100% before midday, and even over the winter months there was never more than two or three consecutive days that we did not get the battery full. Although we had a 600 AH battery, we seldom dipped below 400 AH remaining working easily within the top 200 AH most of the time.
Pay with Paymate Express