#62544  by razor
 Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 pm
come south young man the beer never gets warm even in the cuboard :lol: :lol:
 #62545  by Justintime
 Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:50 pm
Love it Neil :lol: But seriously, Florin, I probably didn't word my last post too well. I wasn't concerned that my system was mission critical, but more that I don't have redundancy like a mission critical system would, and therefore needed to know what would happen and how I would identify if a fault occurred in the BMS. I read your answer as saying that it will (should) fail safe and effectively shut the battery down? But it is an unlikely event that the BMS will fail.

And Smillie, I think there are many potential advantages of new technology. Some see it as an opportunity and are more inclined to try it earlier than others, and others see it as more risky. Each to their own, but for those of us that want to give it a go, I find these threads very interesting and Florin's comments are helping to give me a better perspective. For those of us with caravans, weight is a far more critical issue (as you well know!), and changing to Lithium in my van will save me about 37 kg of weight near the front of the van. Not to be sneezed at. :)

Cheers, Dene
 #62547  by Roamnz
 Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 pm
I understand what you are saying, Dene, you have been in our motorhome and would know that even though it is now 6 years old, we don't tend to shy away from new ideas! Maybe next time around it will be Lithium for us as well. Just because something new is in the market place it does not mean that we should automatically discard what has worked for many people for a long time. The price difference issue with the new technology is a huge factor for many people at this point in time.

I can understand your comments from the weight perspective, one more reason that helped us with the caravan versus motorhome decision after two custom built large off road caravans. All that AGM battery weight and we have in theory two more tonne of goodies we could load on board! ;)
 #62549  by Justintime
 Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Hi Smillie, yes we all have our different reasons and I accept that there are also arguments for staying with the tried and true. However, I don't necessarily agree that the cost issue is as bad as the upfront difference suggests. If you factor in the longevity (number of cycles) and the fact that the discharge curve for a lithium battery means you can still get a similar useable number of amp hours at full voltage from a MUCH smaller lithium battery than AGM without seriously damaging its lifespan, then the cost differences close up. These are all arguments that have been stated before, some buy into them and others don't, but I do.

Dene
 #62550  by WoodyZ
 Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm
razor wrote:come south young man the beer never gets warm even in the cuboard :lol: :lol:
:D Even though I have been long gone, at heart I am very much still a Southlander.
 #62753  by lorry13
 Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 pm
Before everyone panics , there was a Tv [Fire tv1 sat am .]show , telling people about exploding Lithium batteries that were used in model helicopters.
Will one of the Tech people explain the difference between a helicopter battery and a battery drill or house batteries ?.
 #62756  by WoodyZ
 Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:38 pm
In simple terms, the batteries used in battery drills and such are completely different chemistry than those used in motorhomes, as are the batteries which are used in the Dreamliner aircraft which had issues.
 #62758  by razor
 Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:05 pm
batteys used in helicopters are generally lithium polymer (lipo) requiring very specific charging and treatment
drills and motorhomes use lithium ion (life) quite a bit more stable and require specific charging and treatment to remain safe
just be aware that technology in phones/computers ect and the like are tending toward lipo batterys
which need specific chargers and handling which a lot of people are not aware
this trend is to extend the life of the machine use but the down side is the fires
Pay with Paymate Express