#62764  by lorry13
 Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:24 pm
Is there any specific charger required which I may need to change to and is using my repco 10 A. charger 6mths old that does several battery types?.
 #62765  by WoodyZ
 Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 pm
To charge what?
 #154241  by Nut17
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 pm
I have just read through all 90 posts in this thread and found it interesting to follow the path I trod down eight years ago when I purchased my first LiFePO4 lithium house battery. Not a lot has changed. The price of reasonable quality cells has risen (not dropped as everyone expected) over that time. Time has proven that the prismatic cell constructed LiFePO4 cells we are using for house batteries are extremely safe and realistic life span if not abused could easily be 15 - 20 years.
However, the demand for the raw material to manufacture these cells has is increasing at an alarming rate with the huge demand for electric vehicles.
Our new van, all but ready to hit the road is our third with LiFePO4 house battery cells and I am confident that they will still be powering all my toys in 15 years or so when my age will probably fail me before my batteries.

Most of the reasons I chose to head down the lithium path eight years ago are still pretty much the reason I still use them and will never revert back to lead acid technology.
 #155904  by Skiwi
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:12 am
Nut17 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 pm
<snip>
Our new van, all but ready to hit the road is our third with LiFePO4 house battery cells and I am confident that they will still be powering all my toys in 15 years or so when my age will probably fail me before my batteries.
Most of the reasons I chose to head down the lithium path eight years ago are still pretty much the reason I still use them and will never revert back to lead acid technology.
Just checking....the only reason you are on your third set of lithium's is because you've changed your rig? (not the batteries for some reason)

Cheers
Skiwi
 #155908  by Nut17
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm
Absolutely! I purchased my first 200 AH Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery from AA Solar in March 2012 and in January 2015 purchased a new van and took the battery out of the old van and intended to purchase a second identical 200 AH unit to double up my capacity. It was at that point I found the three year old 600 AH pack from an off grid house in Dunedin at a very realistic price so went ahead with that deal and sold my three year old 200 AH unit for half new price to a fellow forum member. During the budgeting and research phase of the van we have just put on the road I had intended to purchase a new 300 AH AA Solar Sinopoly battery but once again stumbled upon a pair of used 150 AH "Abatt" LiFePO4 packs for less than half the cost of a new 300 AH unit. With the 600 Ah battery in our last van I had intended to retain half of the pack to fit in our new van, but the fact that the cells were too large to easily fit into our new English caravan and that we ended up selling the van while we were still travelling in the South Island limiting the opportunity to re configure the battery bank prior to the sale. The cells were also seven years old and about half way through their practical life expectancy.
 #156012  by Grant4747
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 am
I have done quite a lot of reading and talking to people that know a fair bit about Lithium phosphate batteries in particular, as this is the way we will go when we Literally remortgage the home to set up our M/H for permanent living off grid.
One of the things that surprised me with this technology was the fact that you will kill theses batteries if you charge them at zero degrees or lower and that not all BMS systems protect against this happening.
Not many seem to talk about this potentially happening, but you always hear about over charging, cell balancing and over discharging.
Thought it might be useful putting it all in one place for those considering going down this path.
 #156018  by Nut17
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm
With all three of our LiFePO4 installations, the battery pack has been situated inside the van and even over the winter months down south, would never be subjected to less than 10 deg Celsius. So definitely not an issue for us.
 #156024  by Grant4747
 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:00 pm
Thank for your reply, We will also install battery/s inside.
We live in the upper half of the north island and temp can drop to about 5 degrees inside without any heating overnight in the winter so we are going to take some precautions just in case.
Our Motorhome is large with a lot of single layered glass, we hope to change these before next winter to double glazed plastic.
Hope we notice the difference.
Pay with Paymate Express