#145755  by Gerry
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:58 pm
My all aluminium clad and framed van is now about 16 years old and some signs of corrosion are starting to appear - mostly adjacent to the fixing points of the corner extrusion lapping roof and wall.
The fixings are also aluminium rivets but I suspect the problem may be from the metal nail remnant and some water ingress.
I can lift the molding (not easy) clean and replace with tape or sika and use no rivets at all.
I am also aware of some electronic devices (expensive)that claim to prevent such erosion on aluminium vehicles . There seems considerable doubt as to the effectiveness of these devices. None advertised in NZ as far as I am aware but available ex Aus.
Has anybody had experience with this challenge and electronic devices?

I am reluctant to do the repair and then later have more erosion appear - that would really put a gap in my axe!!

Gerry
 #150887  by lemon6949
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm
Hey Gerry

Was the corrosion occurring where the Aluminium was fastened to steel?

I believe its galvanic corrosion and can occur where there is conductive (electrical) connectivity between the two metals.
Im designing my bus now and looking to use Aluminium framing but was concerned about the rate of corrosion between the two metals

did you get it fixed up? how?
 #150908  by Gerry
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am
The corrosion is on surface of the aluminium. My MH has all aluminium framing.
Seems most likely cause was the incomplete removal of etch product before painting.
Still living with this defect!
I intend to have the MH repainted in the spring - which will include stripping the affected parts and making good and blemishes before the paint goes on.
 #150910  by BUSRSQ
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:23 pm
One thing that may help is to make sure that there are good earth points from the body to the frame and that all panels are actually earthed so that there is a good flow of the electrons.
 #151027  by Gerry
 Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 am
Good point! Not too hard to do in my case as I only have 3 panels - 1 roof and 2 for the walls.
Pay with Paymate Express