#149697  by hammerpaul68
 Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:04 pm
We are just starting our journey to purchase & convert a bus for a family of five (plus two dogs), and have recently looked at both a Hino Rainbow 1993 & a MAN 11.190 1996. Initially the Hino piqued our interest as it had a fair amount of storage underneath. But then we were introduced to the MAN which was A) an auto (which is a preference) but B has a much lower floor. This would be great, as one of our five is my 70 year old mother-in-law! She's definitely not a fan of stairs, and this bus is one of those that "kneels" for passengers, so from that perspective it's great.

However, the main concern we have with the MAN is the ground clearance. We're worried that it might ground out really easily (we intend to camp off grid mostly). Does anyone have any experience of the MAN in this scenario?

Thanks, Paul.
 #149699  by BUSRSQ
 Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 pm
the SLF ( Super low floor) M.A.N. would be a better vehicle in everyway over the HINO.
For starters the M.A.N. would have been in NZ allits life so would not of seen any salt on the roads, where as the HINO would of.
as both are getting on parts availability would be about the same ( almost impossible to get)
Neither would be very good of a formed road.
 #149713  by hammerpaul68
 Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 pm
BUSRSQ wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 pm
the SLF ( Super low floor) M.A.N. would be a better vehicle in everyway over the HINO.
For starters the M.A.N. would have been in NZ allits life so would not of seen any salt on the roads, where as the HINO would of.
as both are getting on parts availability would be about the same ( almost impossible to get)
Neither would be very good of a formed road.
Thanks for the info @BUSRSQ. Will bear that in mind.
 #149727  by RaymonD
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm
I would not ignore a Hino, we had a 1996 9 meter Hino RJ JJ that had just been taken out of service in 2006, it was like new, had a Hino body, anodized steel, all interior steel was oxide painted, roof cavity was totally sealed underfloor ply like new, so, it depends on where they come from in Japan and what they were used for.
The comment re salt is odd, as we used to use salt on our roads, and in road work mixes.
Of course the M.A.N. may have a Hino moter :lol:
 #149731  by NeilV
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm
I have a SLF Dennis Dart, and I have never had issues with clearance on road or on ‘formed’ gravel (still not sure why they called ‘metalled’ roads here).

The low floor definitely makes access much easier, (and gives a much higher ceiling too) as it lines up with the pavement only 10cms lower in most places...

BUT if I were doing it again from scratch, if definitely look much harder at the cupboard space lost by going low floor, as even my water/waste tanks are severely restricted by the (lack of) space below.
 #149746  by hammerpaul68
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm
RaymonD wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm
I would not ignore a Hino, we had a 1996 9 meter Hino RJ JJ that had just been taken out of service in 2006, it was like new, had a Hino body, anodized steel, all interior steel was oxide painted, roof cavity was totally sealed underfloor ply like new, so, it depends on where they come from in Japan and what they were used for.
The comment re salt is odd, as we used to use salt on our roads, and in road work mixes.
Of course the M.A.N. may have a Hino moter :lol:
Thanks Ray! We are definitely still keen on the Hino, we've pretty ruled out the MAN for poor ground clearance. Going back to look at the Hino again this weekend :-)
 #149751  by myles
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 pm
Not sure what variation the Hino you are looking at is, but there are wide-body Hino Rainbows (I have one), that are about 30cm wider and have significantly more headroom than the narrower ones. 30cm extra width doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference to internal dimensions. We needed the extra height as I'm 6ft tall - in the 'normal' body Hino I couldn't stand upright, which I felt would be a problem over the long term - in the wide-body I have no problem standing up straight with some 'head' room to spare.

The Wide-body variations typically demand higher prices, are harder to find and are more sought after.
Pay with Paymate Express