#149890  by Lew Shaw
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:14 pm
We're interested in this model but want to know if the Alco pressed steel chassis is as good as in older models as it applies to off the road/gravel road use.I understand that most English caravans prefer tarsealed roads & wonder whether the Oxford 55 are any different.
 #149892  by Nut17
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm
My understanding is that chassis/ suspension failure on modern European caravans is fairly rare. However, due to the relatively crude short travel suspension, and the generally light weight of these vans, tyre pressures, and correct loading are very important to preserve the structural integrity of the body and van fittings. Most of these light weight vans have very strong laminated composite bodies and many have a 10 year water ingress and structural guarantee. We are in the process of swapping our large very heavy Aussie built van for an Elddis (on an Al-Ko chassis) van from the UK. It is all about taking easy when the road surface is poor and running the correct tyre pressures.
 #149893  by Waymad
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 pm
Chris, with a North Island trip coming up including some back roads, can you elaborate about 'correct tyre pressures' for such roads in a Brit 'van? I surmise that softening tyres for less smooth roads is what's needed (in which case next purchase would be a 12v air compressor to reinflate 'em). Am I right?
 #149896  by Nut17
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:06 pm
Yes, I noticed that the recommended pressure for Ben's (Gadget) Swift Kudos is 28 PSI. That is a tandem axle van with a plated MTPLM of 1650 kg and a maximum MTPLM of 1800 kg. His rig is estimated to be right on the maximum 1800kg and he has his tyres at 35 PSI. for all conditions. So far - So good :-T :)
Pay with Paymate Express