#150783  by oorda
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 am
I have a problem with the floor in my Rockwood Windjammer Ultralight caravan, in certain areas, being spongy. I have only had the caravan a few years but the warranty has ran out.

The floor is the sandwich type with Plywood/polystyrene or Styrofoam/Plywood as the main component. Apparently this polystyrene tends to compress and this leads to a gap between the polystyrene and the top layer of plywood why leads to the floor becoming spongy in that area. I don't have any visible water leaks and I have only used the caravan for 4 months in total over the last few years do I would not say it was heavy use.

I searched this problem on line and this seems to be a very common problem going back to the 2000,s with Rockwood Ultralight caravans so Forest River the makers of this type of caravan knew there was problem which is probably why you only get a 12 month warranty.

The caravan is on a site in the Rotorua area and I was wondering if anybody knew of a company who could come and have a look at the problem and come up with a solution.
 #150784  by Nut17
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 am
We had a 2004 NZ made Prestige Ultra with exactly that problem. The repair procedure carried out under warranty comprised removing the carpet / vinyl in the areas of concern then drilling a series of 10 mm holes to allow the injection of resin to fill the gap created by the compressed polystyrene. The end result was OK but not wonderful. We ended up laminating another 10 mm layer of ply over the whole floor.
 #150786  by oorda
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am
Chris,

That sounds like a good solution with laminating the entire floor but the problem I have is the slider in the living area would not be able to slide back in again due to the increase 10 mm in height. I also was told to try and inject some resin in the affected areas but was also told it was not a long term solution and would happen again.
I was even thinking about fitting very thin steel plate over the whole area, screw it to the original floor, and then fit new vinyl over the lot as it
would not make it much thicker than it is now and may allow the slider to still slide in.
 #150787  by Nut17
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 pm
We also had trouble with the added 10 mm to the floor with carpet fouling drawers and cupboards. I do not think a thin layer of steel would be much help as it is still quite flexible. Altering the slider to suit the raised floor level may be the best option.
 #150817  by oorda
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 am
Does anybody know of a company, in the Rotorua area, that could look at replacing the floor in the caravan and also adjusting the hight of the living room slider to accommodate the extra 10 mm hight that fitting the replacement floor on top of the original floor would bring.
 #150840  by oorda
 Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 am
Hugh,

I will update any information that I have.

I have just posted on the Forest River Forum so will see what information that brings.
 #151150  by oorda
 Tue May 07, 2019 6:36 am
I have been up to the caravan and the slide out is not Lippert make ( Was advised on the Forrest River Forum that it may be a Lippert) but was close enough for me to work out the vertical adjustments from the Lippert manual.

After taking measurements from inside the caravan with the slide Out IN/OUT I have enough clearance from the slide out to the original floor in excess of 10 to 12 mm (Without any adjustment on the Slide Out) so I am going to fit 9mm H3 treated Plywood on top of the original floor and then 2 mm lino on top of the plywood and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Pay with Paymate Express