#40536  by Jpw69
 Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:02 am
Bought our 1956 bedford SB 7 months ago with a brand new COF from VTNZ hastings.
Took it for its COF (Christchurch, airport VTNZ) a couple of weeks back and in 6 months it has gone from a pass to 'rust repairs to entire bodywork to be completed'

We aren't wanting to sink to much money into it, as we are going overseas next year. But would like it to be on the road for our last summer nz summer for a couple of years.

I do not know anything about structural rust repairs and the do's and don'ts.

The concerning part it that some of the structural wall posts have rusted from underneath,

Do i just cut out the rusted steel and weld new steel on?
Does this have to completed by a certified welder?

Anything else i should be aware of?
Thanks for your time :)
 #40543  by 65Bedford
 Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Hello another Bedford owner more the merrier lol

We have had issues with rust and structural also especially at rear end where water tanks is was bit of corrosion an were told by VTNZ it had to be repaired by next inspection.

So today took Noah to Paint an Panel place in Amberley ask for quote 600 dollars an he will also strengthen up tank area an make storage cabinets which is something we do need.

So he goes in to shop two weeks hope that helps .

Brett

Ps Noah passed Self Containment check today with flying colours now needs one more check an we have our little green sticker :D
 #40544  by Rocky
 Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm
Well done you guys.....dont talk to me about rust. :x
 #40549  by 65Bedford
 Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:09 pm
Thanks Les does Rocky have rust issues ?
 #40552  by Rocky
 Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:44 pm
Rocky is my 4x4 Dihatsu, or my name on this forum. My motorhome has no name as yet and no rust NOW.. :evil: Open to suggestions as to naming motorhome. :-|
 #150596  by Jpw69
 Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm
So I ended up taking the Bedford to another place other than VTNZ for the next attempt at getting a COF. I still hadn't done anything about the rust. However they didn't mention it at all.
They did give me a bunch of other issues to work on. However they were much more manageable :TU
 #150604  by BUSRSQ
 Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am
Jpw69 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm
So I ended up taking the Bedford to another place other than VTNZ for the next attempt at getting a COF. I still hadn't done anything about the rust. However they didn't mention it at all.
They did give me a bunch of other issues to work on. However they were much more manageable :TU
So it is still a rust filled danger on our roads ?
Pay with Paymate Express