#150639  by RaymonD
 Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am
BUSRSQ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am
So it is still a rust filled danger on our roads ?
Why do you say that ?, one of the problems is that some testing station testers have an incorrect opinion as to what is unsafe rusting, my understanding is that it should only relate to rust on structural steel work, not panel steel.
 #150641  by BUSRSQ
 Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44 pm
RaymonD wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am
BUSRSQ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am
So it is still a rust filled danger on our roads ?
Why do you say that ?, one of the problems is that some testing station testers have an incorrect opinion as to what is unsafe rusting, my understanding is that it should only relate to rust on structural steel work, not panel steel.
Because it is a start, next it will be something more critical that he will go from vehicle tester to vehicle tester until he finds one that will pass it.
If it failed because of rust FIX IT, regardless of how much or where it FAILED so it must of been significant enough to have stood out.
 #150647  by Skiwi
 Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm
One of the reasons I stick with VTNZ is to have a thorough inspection and early warning of any potentially dangerous developments.

I may not like things that they find, and I sure as hell hate paying for repairs, but at least I know about them and fixing them becomes a priority.

I also attribute considerable value to their professional judgement (to label it an "opinion" IMHO is harsh). Because they don't do repairs they have no incentive to signal unnecessary work.

Cheers
Skiwi
 #150700  by RaymonD
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:10 pm
BUSRSQ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am
If it failed because of rust FIX IT, regardless of how much or where it FAILED so it must of been significant enough to have stood out.
where did I imply or say NOT to fix it, a tester that knows, will suggest that a rust section should be attended to, and not fail a COF because of it.
 #150701  by RaymonD
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm
Skiwi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm
I also attribute considerable value to their professional judgement (to label it an "opinion" IMHO is harsh). Because they don't do repairs they have no incentive to signal unnecessary work.

Cheers
Skiwi
I made an error in using the word "opinion', what I meant was "UNDERSTANDING"

I have a friend who had a vehicle fail because the testing staff were not up to date with the regulations relating to Chassis rail rust heave on a rail join (there is a allowable dimension)The vehicle was taken to a more knowledgeable testing station and passed, they had to alter the computer entries from the other testing station with reasons as to why it was changed.
 #150711  by malcybabe
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:05 pm
Ok members what is structural rust
I got pinged for the exact thing on my pillar adjacent the drivers door on my Nissan civilian and some rust on the floor on the left hand side [below passenger ]
I had to remove the windscreen and as the rubber was so old had to purchase a new part on removing glass it broke
Guess what there was no rust underneath the rubber on the Civilian those little corner panels are removeable
So the rust on that pillar was caused by the aerial and in no way was structural rust
My cost a new windscreen and rubber $1200.00 plus the bill from the panel beater to fix the floor $2300.00
the floor rust was caused by the window on the left side leaking it was not brittle just had signs of rust on it is this structural
Your comments please
 #150712  by david 60
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm
There are all different types of rust in a vehicle which goes from serious to cosmetic. I have been dealing with rust for 40 odd years. The biggest problem the owner ignores it doesn't want to know about it and would rather go fishing no problem so dont get upset when pulled up and asked to empty your wallet
early stages action is a light sand and a bit of paint to seal for protection this small ignored surface rust will eventually bevome serious
Rust in beams and structual points there is no argument or decussion entered into fix it or dump it
Testers have no sympathy for you or your rust
People must realise rust never sleeps
You have all the time In the day when you could be looking g for a potential rust problem it's up to you treat it early or be prepared to big $$$'
David
Pay with Paymate Express