#61483  by Naki585
 Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 am
Hi.

Our ex Kea has only very lightly tinted glass which offers very little privacy and no UV protection. So I am considering having the rear windows tinted.

I have spoken to a window tinter and he recommends using a 20% black tinted film.
Is this too dark or too light? I know it comes down to personal preference, but I would opinions as to what you people have done and what your recommendations would be.

Thank you.
Keith
 #61494  by The B's Hive
 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm
We had a 35% midnight express product put on our clear rear window by tint a car in Hamilton, we find this % great for privacy and not too dark inside, quite often we can be sitting inside and wave out to people who seem to be staring at us but depending on the actual daylight and background light, they can't see us, or make out they can't.
I think 20% would be too dark.

Colin
 #61495  by Neddy
 Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:12 pm
Manufacturers of vehicle window tinting film usually provide a choice of 3 levels of VLT (Visible Light Transmittance).

35% VLT (This is the lightest tint that is generally available)
20% VLT
5% VLT (This is quite dark, although there is a special 2.5% VLT "limousine" tint.)

The 20% VLT film recommended by the window tinter is therefore a "middle range" product and is the one I would be inclined to go for.
 #61496  by malcybabe
 Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm
Mt Pennies worth
Advantages
Privacy,Helps keep you motorhome cooler in summer Does help during daylight hours with privacy
Disadvantage
In Winter interior can become very damp we have tinted our bus and now have to run a dehumidifier 24/7 in winter months while parked at home Malcolm
 #61535  by The young ones
 Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 pm
We have a 6m Kea, I went to Tint tech in Hamilton, we went very dark, it's great, people walk up to the windows and have no idea that we are right on the other side. Fantastic on privacy, I don't think it is to dark, we only need the curtains at night when the lights are on. Have not had any issues with VLT but then we are on a WOF not COF. If you are in Hamilton and want to see just message me.
 #61543  by shuttleman47
 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 pm
as long as you have two external rear vision mirrors you can have any level of tint behind the drivers shoulder for COF
 #150456  by Hugh
 Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 am
I am contemplating replacing the window tinting in our bus myself. Some existing tinted windows ( 35%) are flaking. I am anticipating this will be a tricky job. Any recommendations regarding: removal of existing, application of new and what film to purchase & supplier ?
Thanks
Pay with Paymate Express