#141673  by vansvilla
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:21 pm
We have just replaced our toad and once more need to organise some tail light for it.
The issue we have is the bus is 24V and of course the car is 12V.
My plan A is to replace the toad bulbs with multi voltage LED bulbs, ie 12 & 24V.
Then run the 24V lead off the back of the bus, down to the existing trailer plug,
Can any body foresee any issues that may occur.
From what I have seen only the Tail lights illuminate making me think that the front and rear lights are on different circuits.
 #141675  by Nut17
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm
When I used to A Frame my ute behind my work truck I made up a simple light bar and mounted it on the ute tow ball. This kept the 24 volt circuit completely separate. I simply ran the cable up over the bonnet of the ute, tucked it under the wiper arm up over the roof and down to the light bar. I always intended to run a fixed cable under the ute but had trouble finding one of those "round to it" thingies. :oops:
 #141681  by mattn
 Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm
I would hesitate to feed 24V into a 12V cars electrics. The lights these days are integrated into the electronic control modules.
 #141711  by Derb
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 pm
My mate has a Coaster bus (24 volt) and a Suzuki toad. He bought an adaptor (made in Paeroa I think) for that very purpose which is located under the rear of the bus and powers up the 7 pin trailer plug. I wired up a 7 pin socket for his Suzuki grille and plumbed it into his front lamps, earth and the lamp side of the stop-lamp switch. When he "A-Frames up" he just uses the lead which is cable-tied to the A-Frame to liven up his toad and away he goes. I have done 2 different Toads for him now but it could be a bother in future with the more intelligent toads coming through with their delicate electrics.
 #142150  by Zukiwi
 Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:20 pm
I have one of those devices - an Adaptrix - but they're not made any longer. They're a solid state device built onto the regular 7 pin rectangular trailer light socket. They work by interrupting the current thus "converting" 24V into "12V". beware they only carry 10A and if, like my Jimny, you leave the 50W fog lamps switch on, they too light up when you use your tug lights and cook the converter.

There is a firm in Nelson, Anything Electronics http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/aen ... 20a&page=1 that produces similar items, including vehicle-trailer interfaces that apparently protect the tug electronics from faults in the toad's system.

Cheers
John
 #142151  by Zukiwi
 Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm
vansvilla wrote:My plan A is to replace the toad bulbs with multi voltage LED bulbs, ie 12 & 24V.
I talked to an auto sparky who seemed quite knowledgable about this some time ago. It was his recommended solution too, he said you just need to install a purpose made LED flasher unit into the toad circuitry to compensate for the lower current draw of the LEDs to maintain the right pulsing frequency of the indicators. However the issue of tug electronics didn't come up as my 1991 bus isn't very delicate in that regard. Perhaps it would also be accommodated by the VTI I mentioned above?

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express